Something different....post your creditials! :noes:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JRock10, Mar 30, 2007.

1. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

So for something a little different around here, post up what kind of experience you have in car (or home) audio. Where have you worked, what positions, any certifications, etc. and no, being an internet fanboy of ficaraudio or RE or all that other shit doesn't count. If you're just a backyard shadetree installer, tell us. some of you fuckers do the best work!

I'll start:

started reading Car Audio & Electronics at 13. installed first system at 15. did some backyard stuff til 1999 when i got my first installer job at Electronic Express. Went to CarTronics as an installer, moved into sales, then asst store manager. left there and went to Circuit City as an installer til mid '04. now I'm back to the shadetree doing simple things here and there.

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

oh and :fawk: your allthatshitbyyou.jpg! post something!

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

e-knowledge since late 14: :rofl:

i started off on sounddomain then hit random boards and wound up here, my ignorance was cleared quickly after hanging out on OT

i dont really do installs but if anyone that knows me wants to know what to get and what will fit their budget they ask me so that feels kind of good, im like my groups stereo consultant, (ive listened to a lot of shit, just never install):mamoru:

id go for a stereo shop job but good shops want people with a lot of experience and i dont want to work at a easy to get into shop were im peddling base model shit to soccer moms and wiggers

if i ever retire rich im going to open a shop

4. Create

Create :free at last:

I started with a '97 Cherokee, 4 speakers + sub, all amped. I did all the install and learned alot the hard way. This was about a decade ago.

Since then I've designed/installed two of my cars and a few cheapo setups for friends. We did a few boats, one a 28' sailboat.

My biggest build was a two-weekend project in college. I had two infinity floor speakers with specs. I designed and built enclosures around purchased speakers to match the infinity fronts in 5.1. The following weekend I built the crossover networks & phase adjustment.

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

my father was an electronics tech, and got me started around age 13... i was a shadetree from that point, until the shop i was a regular customer of... asked if i wanted to be an apprentice to the installer, so for a couple years i installed in the shop one day a week(while still doing installs at home, and working a fulltime job.)... but then i took over the sales job, and i installed whenever we were really busy... then the installer retired, and i took over the fulltime installer job... i've done cars/trucks/vans/rv's/motorcycles/tour buses/semi's/boats while there.

6. Create

Create :free at last:

There's speaker mounts on motorcycles? :eek3:

7. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

cruisers(like the honda goldwing), and trikes.

8. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

sweet, this is turning out well. and ronin, i'd never know that you haven't installed. you're knowledge is very extensive. i'm impressed.

something I've learned from OT, after a week or 2 of first posting in H&CA, most of the bullshit stops and everyone really comes together. it's one of the better features of our little subforum here.

9. Ronin

Ronin Guest

im around it i just dont labor over it :hsughno: started applying liquid deadener to some of my trunk tonight, i should have the entire car deadened in a week with pics

10. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

I'm kind of a hobbyist. Much of my knowledge has come from reading on OT, and then trial and error in my own home theater and car. I'm still just the average guy who does his friends installs for a weekend of work and a case of beer.

When things get tricky I usually come up w/ something creative to make it work.

11. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

God damnit.

I had something, then I hit refresh on accident... shit.

12. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: that sucks! glad to see you could make it by! :wavey:

13. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Wells.

The seed was planted in 4th grade, when I was about 10. My dad gave me his Home Stereo, the first one he bought from 1978. I had the attic room, and frequently loved to rattle plates in the cabinets downstairs when no one was home. :mamoru:

Fast forward to +12v, I started browsing magazines and the Internets when I was 14. I always loved music and by the time I was 15, I decided that my vehicle was going to be the place for me to listen to music... and sound great.

By the time I got my temps permit, I had already installed a CD player and replaced my factory speakers, through good old Crutchfield. By the time I was 16, I bought a pair of 12's, built a box (designed by someone else... lol), and installed my first amp.

This was the first hobby I really became interested in, hardcore. I kept reading on the www.caraudio.com forums, and what now is www.bcae1.com, as well as other sites.

Installed for the local kids here and there, designed boxes for a lot of people, occasionally did a full system for the local rich kid. lol.

Landed my first CarAudio related job at the CC (CircuitShitty)... started in sales. Helped out on installs when I could, and occasionally picked up some custom box builds from customer who wanted more...

Began installing fulltime at CC ~19. Continued to do so, learned about random cars... but I wanted to do more custom installs instead of 24/7 deck+4 installs. Eventually I quit CC, b/c of the corporat politics. Continued to do random installs for people at my University at my house.

By chance, a friend of my told me to stop by well known local shop. I went there with him, let the guys hear my truck and see my install. I bullshitted for a little while and came back a week later and they offered me a job.

I was hired as assistant to the lead custom installer, and on my first day tore apart a Lamborghini Gallardo... lol. I was :eek4:.

I've been there for ~5months, and love it. I've learned a lot, and worked on lots of cars I never would have at CC or my House. Get to do A LOT of custom work, and turn out lots of small projects.

Got a few big projects we're working on now... can't wait till they're done! Also, b/c of this job... I'm able to redo my truck. Going in for paint on monday... getting a great deal on rims and such, then redo-ing the interior myself!

w00ts.

14. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Yeah, it's long...

lol.

Cooking food right now and I'm bored...:wavey:

15. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

I don't have any credentials. At about 16 I became a car stereo enthusiast when I observed a neighbor doing a full custom install in his Toyota truck over the span of a few weeks. All of his speakers were Pioneer, the amps were Phoenix Gold, and his head unit was the Alpine in dash 3 disc changer. When I got my first car the next year I did my first install, an all Sony system except for the subs which were Pyle. I've been installing stuff for myself and friends ever since. I am about to install a pretty decent system in my car within a couple weeks.

Pioneer DEH-P880PRS head unit
    Pioneer CD-IB100 II iPod interface
    CDT Audio CL-61A-25 PRO front stage
    Polk Audio EXII EX693 rear fill
    Image Dynamics ID12 subs
    HiFonics Zxi6406 mids/highs amp
    HiFonics Bxi1206D subs amp
    SubZone ZV212-2030 ported sub box
    JL Audio dual amp 2ga install kit
    Knuconceptz interconnects
    MAPtech flush mount head unit kit w/laser cut and LED backlit lettering

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  16. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

allthatshitbyngsm.jpg :mamoru:

a gallardo huh? never worked on a lambo, but we did put an alarm in a ferrario one time (that's a fiero with the 308GT replica kit. it had the ferrari name plate on the V6 intake and all! :eek5: )