Something a bit Different - 1979 Mazda 323

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by brasheye, Dec 24, 2006.

1. brasheye

brasheye Rotary Crew

My 79 Mazda 323, Powered by a Series 3 RX7 12a Engine.

see the startup after 3 goes :mamoru:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-unlJ3XUWh4

And this is what I want it to end up like :bowdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQqUt1_NDRE

On a weigh bridge it came out to 780kg or 1700 pounds approx

Mechanically the car doesn't have much left from the stock 323, the Tailshaft and diff is the only original parts left which has handled pretty good so far with almost 3x the original power been put through it.

The clutch is a heavy duty unit and is connected to a RX4 4 speed gearbox wich is awesome but the ratios are a bit short to be ran on the highway.

Moving to the engine, The stock 1.4 donk has been replaced with a Series 3 12a with the stock Nikki Carby and K&N filter. It is putting out 91rwkw @ 6100rpm :( The RPM was so low as the carby was running out off puff and was actualy losing power. Replacing the fuel pump and Putting through some Carby cleaner solution The power now starts to drop off at 7300rpm, so I'm confident of cracking 100rwkw (160hp) after a tune.

Only engine mods are a DBR gilmer drive, Rx4 radiator, Ser II oil cooler (mounted behind number plate) a Alloy coolant catch can and a Rotorsport Engine Crossmember

Exhaust is 2 1/4 mandrel bent system with a single muffler and no resonator, it's loud :rofl:

The interior is in pretty good order, it has Series 5 RX-7 Convertable seats which have speakers in the headrest :bowdown:

A simple sony tapedeck and a 6 stacker controls the music, and JBL 6.5 inch coaxials in the doors, the stereo isnt connected at the moment as 1) you cant hear it over the exhaust 2) the speakers were so dodgy mounted to the doortrims they would rattle and shake all the time and generally sounded shithouse. Some custom MDF doortrims with embossing and map pockets is on the cards.

Brakes and suspension were also upgraded to pass engineering laws, Volvo 4 piston Calipers and VH Commodore disc up front and stock rear drums with 626 heatsinks on the rear. Suspension is left stock up back which isn't too bad but the front has been replaced with Series 2 RX-7 struts and coils with an aftermarket Coilover conversion to make them height adjustable.

Wheels are Performance Brand 14 x 6 with peice of shit Madison tyres on the back and Dunlop's on the front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

You've posted this before, but its still very cool :cool:

3. terrist

terrist Cowboy President > All other World Leaders

Nice:coold:
    I've been looking for a good project car for a while and something like this might just be it

4. BlackHBDX

BlackHBDX The grey fixer

Dude, that's awesome!

5. BLACKMKIV

BLACKMKIV New Member

I belive they were called GLCs in the states in the late 70s early 80s. My dad had a 82 GLC 4 door.

6. bumble_bee

bumble_bee New Member

7. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

speakers in the headrest?

8. BlueFlag

BlueFlag Guest

9. H. Birdman

H. Birdman New Member

brapppppp!

10. sexhaver420

sexhaver420 Buying stuff I don't need, with money I don't have OT Supporter