Someone's using my hotmail to send junk email.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mgs333, Dec 26, 2003.

1. mgs333

mgs333 Guest

I noticed a few days ago, that I got a couple of 'email address doesn't exist' message from aol. the subject line was for junk mail, and it was sent to '[email protected]', '[email protected]' '[email protected]' and etc...

I immediately changed the password but it's still happening and it's getting worse, today i got like a dozen such messages. i'm only getting the messages from aol however. what the hell is going on here? what can i do?

2. mgs333

mgs333 Guest

i have norton internet security firewall and norton antivirus regularly automatically updated. i also run ad-aware and spy-bot regularly. if those mean anything...

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Could just be someone forging the return address on spam so the bounces go to you instead of them.

4. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

:werd:

Just set up a filter (or whatever Hotmail calls it) to automatically delete messages that look like bounces (by Subject line for example)

5. mgs333

mgs333 Guest

i figured i could just block the error messages from aol, but i wonder if enough people complain that my email is sending junk mail, that hotmail may cancel the account or whatever.... i guess the chances of that happening are slim to none.

i did get one message that said this particular user has blocked mail coming from my address so it couldn't be delivered, would this mean that the mails are really being sent by my hotmail?

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

IMO Hotmail sucks... All I have ever gotten from them is spam and other junk mail. I never used it too much and before I cancelled the account, I would check the mail there every other day and get between 50 and 100 junk e-mails. It's just not worth it...

There are some websites that offer free e-mail addresses. Maybe you can look into that.

HTH.

CM.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I sgtrictly use it to open new accounts and such. It's normally on Exclusive filter, except while I'm sigining up for something. My account still gets spam despite me NEVER giving it out. The best way around spam is not to use a popular ISP or your own domain name.