Someone with experience OCing AMD and troubleshooting ram related errors

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by awns729, Aug 10, 2008.

1. awns729

awns729 New Member

EDIT: TTest #4 did fail. This was the test with JUST the new ram. I have like 10 errors on memtest. If someone here does have some free time, maybe you can read my thread and confirm that it is faulty ram and not because of my OCing? But I'm 75% sure that there's a problem with the new ram, so if you're having a busy day, you can skip this thread :)

Okay so I upgraded my ram but can't figure out what exactly is the cause of my error.

Background: I had 2x512 of OCZ Platinum 4-5-4-15. The CPU was OCed from 200mhz to 220 mhz, making the ram run at ~480mhz according to memtest, instead of the original 400mhz.

I added today 2x1gb of OCZ Platinum 4-4-4-15 and it was unstable with that OC, as verified by many, many errors in memtest86 (see #1).

Proc: AMD Ath 64 3500+ at 2.2ghz, OCed to 2.4. According to CPU-z ram runs at correct 400mhz when proc is OCed to 2.4. But memtest says it's running faster, which is possible because I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to overclocking, and I might not remember correctly.

Now, here are the configurations in memtest86 that I've tried (the 400 or 480mhz ram speed is according to memtest):

1) All 3GB at ~480mhz Cas 4, 4-5-5-15. This resulted in lots of errors. This is with a CPU freq of 220, BIOS setting of DDR800 for the ram at CAS 4.

2) New 2GB at 400mhz, BIOS set at DDR800, Cas 5(memory is rated at 4). This resulted in NO errors.

3) New 2GB OCed ~480mhz (because of 200 to 220mhz cpu freq increase), cas 4, BIOS set at DDR800. This resulted in one error in 15 minutes at which point I stopped because according to the memtest manual, even one error means somethings wrong.

4) New 2GB at 220mhz CPU freq BUT lowered the ram speed to DDR667 (was originally DDR800). Lowering the ram speed and OCing the CPU freq resulted in the CPU running at 2.4 ghz (instead of 2.2) but the ram now running at 400mhz, like it should with no OC. This resulted in NO errors for one hour (the length of all my tests). EDIT: THIS TEST FAILED

5) I installed all the ram. 3GB (but this time the new ram in the old ram's slots). CPU freq at 220, but ram set at DDR667 so with this decrease in speed, combined with the CPU freq increase, the ram's running at the rated 400mhz, cas 4. This resulted in the error in the first 15 minutes or so. This is the situation I don't understand. The error occurred at some address I didn't note down and it said something liek ~630 mb next to that address. Does this mean that 630mb into filling the entire 3gb of ram, memtest ran into a problem? So say DIMM 1 had a 1GB stick, did memtest get 630mb into that stick and encounter a problem or is that not it at all? In test number one, this value was around ~1600, which [if my complete guess about how memtest works is correct] would mean that both times memtest encountered errors in the new ram.

Thanks for teh help and reading this giant post :)

What I"m working on now: I'm going to test the new 2GB by themseves again, but for longer than one hour (redo #4 basically). I'm going to run it at 400mhz by lowering the BIOS setting to DDR667, instead of DDR800, and upping the CPU freq to 220. This is the only way to get teh ram to run at the correct speed because of the way the CPU divider works or something, as far as my understanding goes? Technically even though the CPU freq is raised, the ram is not OCed in test #4, right?

If if fails test #4 then I know the new rams faulty and can RMA it. If it doesn't fail, then I guess I should test both pairs of ram together, or the old ram alone...both times with the same setup (DDR667, 220mhz, cas 4)? HELP!

I realllllllllly hope this isn't as confusing to you as it is to me :( To make my day worse, I cut both my thumbs and made them bleed on the ram's headspreader, and my SATA cable died, and when I first installed the ram, a bunch of system errors made my computer BSOD and crash IE/AIM/Norton and cause windows to recover part of the registry from an alternate location (or something).

Thanks so much

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

First thing I would do, set everything back to default settings and let the mobo auto detect the RAM timing, then run memtest. If it fails at all then, then you know the problem. And of course if it doesn't then the problem is the OC.

3. awns729

awns729 New Member

Basically test #2 did that (my CMOS got reset before that test and I didn't restore any settings), but the problem is that the mobo detects it at CAS 5, not 4 like it should be. And after I change it to CAS 4 it fails, even running at 400mhz (after i change BIOS to DDR667 to compensate for the CPU OC). Also, my old ram on its own, with the same settings as test #4, didn't fail an overnight test. (New ram failed this test in < 20 minutes on my second try of the test #4). Time to RMA? Unless I'm missing something here?

4. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Are you giving the ram enough voltage? Ram usually defaults to ~1.8V, but the tighter timings and faster clock speeds require 2.0V or more. Check the ram specs and set the voltage appropriately.

5. awns729

awns729 New Member

Yes, 2.1 volts is what my old ram runs at. The new ram 1.9-2.1 is fine, so of course I set it at 2.1. I ran my old ram overnight at 400mhz and recieved no errors.

I couldn't remember if I had checked voltage before each test last night (CMOS reset itself on me too many times), so I popped in all 3gb again just to double check. Here's all the info for the test that I just did...

CPU Freq: 234 (a bit low, so I didn't get the ram upto 400mhz)
    CPU Multiplier: 10x
    HTT multiplier: 4x
    Ram speed: DDR667 in BIOS (running at DDR781, or 390mhz)
    Cas 4
    Ram Voltage: 2.1
    CPU voltage 1.375
    HTT frequency is running < 2000mhz, so no OC there. Proc is barely OCed, ram is underclocked slightly...so shouldn't have any problems with this setup?

I wish I could test without modifying ANY BIOS settings, but then because of the way AMD dividers work (to my limited understanding) the ram wouldn't operate at the rated speed, so the modifications I made above are necessary to get ram to run at DDR800 (which it's still slightly under). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding of this topic is very limited.

This test gave me one error in < 10 minutes. So, RMA it tomorrow or try another configuration?