MIL someone want to explain how BAH works for me

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jmx2323, Oct 7, 2006.

1. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

Non Prior obviously will either be at Randolph AFB or in Pensacola, FL once im done with OTS. Both places are above 90% occupancy normally therefore I will choose to live off base.

BAH for both is about the same 838(SA)/823(FL)
    looks like average rent for both is around 725-800 for a semi nice place and utilities are whatever.

so what does BAH cover...will i got only 725 if my rent is 725 or will I get the full amount becasue of utilities?

probably a pretty easy question for a active duty guy.

2. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

You get the full amount authorized for your location regardless of your rent. Get a room mate and enjoy the spoils of being single.

3. whitecouch

BTW you must have gone to school with David Skelonce. He just graduated OTS. He was my neighbor and he recieved the same options last I heard.

4. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

No I dont leave for OTS till Nov 28 will be done Mar 6, Im just trying to get everything in line for my move and looking at places to live and what not, basically be as prepared as possible. Not sure if I want a roomate though.

Navigator will be my Job....so if I go strike/bomber ill be in Pensacola, any other and ill be in SA.

5. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

See you here at barksdale ;)

Anyhow.. Nov 28th is my 23rd b-day

6. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

not so sure I want to be in a B-52, I would rather be in a B-1 which would put me at Dyess or Ellsworth

7. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

Dyess AFB is a shit hole lol.. really it is.. their is NOTHING there.. I also dont think you can pick your airframe .. atleast what the neighbor discribed.

8. whitecouch

Yeah Dyess is a shit hole surrounded by nothing but the shit that splashes out. The buff isn't that bad. You just want something that sounds cool I guess and most people automatically assume the problematic, horrible accident rate having, overrated bone is cooler.

9. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

you get to put your name in for either Strike/Bomber or heavys/anything else. Not sure how it works once you get to you training base but have a bit of a choice from Nav, EWO, WSO you can put in for what you want.

10. whitecouch

Completely understood there man. But remember you joined the military, you do what the mission demands. No guarantee you'll get anything you want out of the Air Force.

11. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

just a quick note - if you go to Pensacola, you'll get whatever the current BAH is for an O-1 (probably around $800/month by now), regardless of what your rent is. i lived there for 2 years, if you get a roommate you'll make a decent chunk of change off your BAH. Fairfield Lakes and Austin Wood are two nice apartment complexes (i lived at Fairfield) that are close to base and offer near-luxury style apartments well within BAH range.

at Randolph it gets trickier, since most of the single guys get stuck in base housing. you don't really have a choice, it just depends on how many people are currently living in the "nav dorms" as they call them. if it's more than 90% occupied they'll let you live off base, otherwise, you'll be stuck in the dorms. the dorms aren't that nice honestly and i would have been really pissed to have to live there, so maybe you'lll get lucky if you go there and get to live off base.

Dyess isn't too bad. it's only a few hours from Dallas, Ft Worth, Austin, and San Antonio, so you'll probably make a bunch of weekend trips like i did if you end up there. you'll also have some really good friends by then so it will be tolerable.

I'm a WSO (nav) in the bone up at Ellsworth now and i love it, both the job and the location. Rapid City is much better than Abilene but the downside is it's much farther away from other cities - Denver is the closest and is 6 hours with good road conditions. again, you'll have so many good friends in the squadron that it's still a lot of fun.

12. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

Yeah from what I have heard becasue of the in ordinate amout of casual time at randolph right now its over 90% occupancy. Ellsworth would be nice, im assuming there is some nice skiing around there which I love. Dyess well you make it what you want, im sure ill have no problem having a good time.

nice to see another Nav on here, maybe ill get some inside info on the training, LOL. Would you reccomed WSO over the other tracks? Is it any better for future advancment (I have heard that before).

13. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

O yeah also....is it just divied and put in your check or you get a seperate deposit once a month?

14. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

All of your pay, unless you opt for allotments is provided in two equal lump sums, one on the fifteenth, the other on the last day of the month.

Most people opt for an allotment for their rent/mortgage/car payment, then the rest is divided and dispersed as stated above.

15. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

thats anwsers that, is there a real diffrence between an allotment and a bill being directly being debeted from your account? Or are they for people who dont know how to manage there money?

16. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

They are for people who know how to manage their money.
    All allotments come out after taxes and TSP contributions.
    All allotments are dispersed at the end (beginning) of the month.
    Allotments are great for things that are major such as mortgage payments, car payments, life insurance payments, etc.

I have an allotment for the total amount of my bills for the month. I then pay all monthly bills on the first or second, any remainder of the allotted money (buffer money for varying bills) goes into savings.
    Wait until next month, rinse, repeat.

Allotments are also a way to place money in other accounts without changing your direct deposit.
    I have another allotment that places money into another account for savings.