GUN Someone teach me to shoot using iron sights. :hs:

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Mar 25, 2008.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I've been blaming my AK's sights for my shitty groups, but I'm starting to think it's me. :hs: I just don't understand the concept. When I'm looking down the sights I can line everything up perfectly, but it's difficult for me to shoot <5" groups because at 50 yards the front sight post covers the better part of my 12" targets. Plus when I'm shooting my 10/22 with a 9x scope even the slightest breathing movements can move the crosshair ~3" across the target, so I just can't fathom how someone can be that sure of their shot with irons.

Any advice? :hs: :dunno:

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

front sight press

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

practice, practice, practice :hs:

I would start off shooting off a bench with just the irons. Practice your breathing and trigger pull. After you get satisfactory results move to a more difficult shooting position.

If you want cheap practice, use your 10/22 sights, they are pretty similar to AK sights.

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Also, you can adjust your sites if you'd like so the point of impact is right above your front sight, if you get what I'm saying. I'm not sure how your sights are set up but I have mine setup so if I'm trying to hit a circle, the top of the sight is directly in the middle of the circle, covering the bottom half.

5. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Bah, that means I'd have to put the craptory barrel back on. :hs: 5.45 is still about a dime a round though, so not too bad. :hs: Is there any "how-to" type of guide online though? I've put about 300ish rounds down range and I haven't seen much of an improvement.

6. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

That's a lot of ammo to burn for him to understand you... -chuckles-

Let me see if I can speed it up a bit, and lessen the ammo cost.

There are several fundamentals of shooting, and they translate to every other aspect. Natural point of aim, bone and muscle support, natural respiratory pause, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control, and a few others.

I'll go down the list in the order I find important.

Sight alignment- critical alignment of sights, needs to be consistently achievable, and consistently correct. On weapons in which the sights can be tweaked, such as an AK, it may need a bench session.

Sight picture- put the clear tip of the front sight post in the middle of the target, press the trigger slowly and steadily to the rear. Correct your aim as needed with other sight systems. Most all combat sight systems I'm familiar with involve some form of the same. Clear front sight on target.

Natural point of aim- sight in on the target correctly, as mentioned above, and close your eyes. Breathe in and out, relax, and open your eyes. Is your sight picture still correct? Front sight still on target? If not, realign your body so that this exercise results in the front sight remaining on target.

Bone and muscle support- These are critical for good shooting positions. Shooting offhand is a very good way to discourage the shit out of yourself.

Sitting: Cross your legs, indian style, and sit. Bury your elbows in the pockets of your knees, put the stock in the pocket of your shoulder, check your natural point of aim, check your sight picture/alignment, and press the trigger slow and steady. The sitting position is a very solid shooting position.

Kneeling: Drop to a knee. Curl that foot under your ass and sit on it, if you're flexible enough. Put the upright knee on the flattest part of your support arm tricep.

Standing: Stand up straight, with your feet shoulder width apart. Tuck your support arm in tight against your ribs, so your tricep is resting on the rib cage, leaning back slightly if necessary. Check the above fundamentals, then pull the trigger as the front sight settles across the target. This is the weakest shooting position, so slowly press the trigger as the front sight dances across the target. Sometimes aiming high on the target and letting the sight slowly drop aids in offhand shooting.

Breath control - critical. Your breath is a bitch to master, but you have an ally. Natural respiratory pause. Note the momentary pause between breaths that naturally occurs. That half second to second is your friend. That pause means the scope hairs stop dancing, the front sight post quits jerking, and your time to shoot is now. Forget holding your breath, inhaling or exhaling, the pause between all of that shit is nature's way of saying 'shoot that motherfucker.'

I personally think that one should master all of these before moving on to defensive shooting aspects. All of these long gun concepts and practices can transfer to sidearms. It's a personal belief though, and one not that many people share. In any event, repetition is your friend. Dryfiring in these shooting positions can improve your form and your shooting immensely. Tape a target to the wall that is relative to the size of the target at shooting distance, and practice positions. Getting used to the way the front sight moves is a hell of a helpful habit.

7. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

qft.

8. egxflash

egxflash Riding on the Midship Express

were you a PMI at some point?

9. egxflash

egxflash Riding on the Midship Express

10. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

except the rear ghost should be fuzzy and so should the target. You can only focus on one depth at a time.

11. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

Where are you aiming? I found on some targets where you are aiming for can be more difficult to see at long ranges.
    I use these normally for the rifle range and I found that shooting at the bottom tip of the large Diamond is a lot easier than say the middle of it.

[​IMG]

12. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

heh.

No. Thought about it, though, and before I could follow up on it, we went to the great sandy rifle range...