Someone teach me about wireless hard drives

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by [DWI], May 29, 2006.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

so a quick back story, I just got my new laptop (which is my primary computer) its a new Intel Apple (so running OSX). There is my old desktop which duel boots XP pro and Suse Linux 10.1. I currently have a linksys wireless G router for my cable modem using 128-bit encryption.

I have alot of video clips, MP3s and backed up DVDs on my desktop, many of which I would like to still use on my desktop from time to time but would like to run on my apple primarily.

I am in the market for at least 300 gb preferably 500 gb (or at least a drive that can be expanded by connecting other drives USB ect to it)

So I have a few questions.

1) In a ~800 sq ft. apartment will a wireless networked hard drive work with my current setup (so I can stay both on the internet and on the hard drive) as well as provide a fast enough transfer rate not to have lagging video and music? I know writing to the drive and copying from it will be slower that a connected drive.

2) Assuming that the hard drive will meet my needs of running audio and video off of the network drive while remaining connected to the internet, are there any wireless drives that will work easily with OSX, XP and Suse Linux? it at least need to work with OSX and Windows XP. So any that you would recommend. (also protecting by a password ect of certain folders would be nice)

So basically I need recommendations on either a wireless drive or casing that works with OSX XP pro and preferably Suse as well. It really doesn't matter if it connects to the router or wirelessly. Though since it might get moved I would like it to if possible expanded the area covered by the wireless.

feel free to add any insight of you own regarding wireless drives.

Thank you for any recommendation and comments or experiences as well

I'm sure I'll have more questions.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The easiest way to get this level of control and security and expandability would be to stick some hard drives in an old PC, add a WiFi card, install Windows 2000 or whatever flavor of Linux the BASH geeks around here recommend, and leave it sit in a closet or a cabinet while it serves your files out to whomever you granted permission to.

3. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I would do this but the only old PC I have randomly reboots and its hardware since it crashes on fresh installs of XP pro and Suse. so the cost and time might be a drawback there.

4. deusexaethera

Sounds like a memory error. Try running the computer with each stick of RAM separately and see if there's one in particular that makes the system unstable.

The computer's CPU is hardwired to ask the BIOS what to do, if the CPU doesn't have any instructions waiting to be processed. This command is built-in because, when the computer turns on, the CPU has to start with no data and no other idea of what to do with itself. If the CPU ever runs out of instructions, it goes and asks the BIOS for more instructions. The BIOS, single-minded as it is, tells the CPU to run a hardware check and then load the operating system. That's what causes some random reboots -- the RAM fails to keep the CPU supplied with instructions and the CPU does what it's programmed to do in that situation.

EDIT: Could be a bad power supply too.

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Linksys makes some wireless-enabled SMB enclosures. I'd suggest that.

6. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

there is only 1 512 MB in the PC old DDR not DDR-2 style, under windows there is 1 gb minimum up to 3 gb of virtual memory (I haven't found a way to do virtual memory for Suse Linux 10.1)

so I would have to replace the memory (which I might be willing to do since I still need windows XP from time to time and I don't want to duel boot my apple) and throw in a couple new hard drives. I guess I would need to upgrade the wireless card on the PC to a G instead of B

I assume the wireless box I would be using as a file server would also become my router?

Does anyone have some good sources to read up on how to do this on a computer running some form of linux (like i've mentioned the limited knowledge of linux i have is suse 10.1 with KDE) I'd like to read up on this and see if it something I'll really be able to do

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

8. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

you got a link to the linksys enclosures you were mentioning?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

couldn't find it on their site.

Dlink has one, I posted that link. There's probably others, as well.

10. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

thanks man

11. deusexaethera

Right. And when other people suggest turning old PCs into file servers, it's fine.

Simple solutions rarely address all needs. Can these one-size-fits-all boxes apply NTFS permissions to his files?

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes :mamoru: It even has a built-in ftp server with ACL. :wiggle:

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Agreed. There's no reason to use a PC unless you need to serve other services.

But is the speed on G good enough to stream HD video? I've always had to copy the files over and then play them...

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have been fairly impressed with wireless speeds. 10Mbps is easily obtained on a G network. Considering that even very high-resolution uncompressed video does not exceed this speed, G should be more than adequate. My estimates seem to indicate you could successfully stream a standard xvid file with just over 1Mbps sustained, or 133KB/s to be more precise. I based this on a linear file size, 700MB for 90 minutes of video. Even if you get a low-balled 6Mbps, you are well within reason for streaming media. As long as it's not working real-time with DV, you'll be fine.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Even so, this doesn't work for watching ripped movies without glitches in the stream on my 800mhz iBook, on a G network in the city.

16. deusexaethera

There's no reason to use a PC, perhaps, except that he already has the hardware. Why not use it if it's free?

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Cause it doesn't work, because he isn't inclined to fix it and because time is money. A wireless enclosure is $100. Its simple. It works. Its just worth getting one.

He can and should still monkey with that box if he wants. But in the meantime enjoy the $100 wireless enclosure.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

because:

1) his extra hardware is incomplete... Something needs replacement.

2) a pc will use more power

3) a pc will be louder

4) a pc will take up more space

5) a pc will take longer to configure.

6) a pc is more complicated

7) there is more to break, with a pc.

Bottom line is unless he NEEDS a feature that the pc provides and the enclosure doesn't, then he shouldn't use a PC. Simple is better for 99% of situations. The simple solution is a network enclosure.

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I didn't know they had wireless enclosures. I want one.