Someone please explain to me Glycemic Index

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by HardTech, Jul 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HardTech

HardTech hungry

May 5, 2000
    I have no clue what it is, other than how fast it is absorbed by the body (or something like that).

I don't know how it is measured, what it is a measure of, whether I need high or low GI foods, etc. etc.
  2. Fatghost28

Fatghost28 Guest

Glycemic Index is a measure of how fast sugar is released into the blood stream.

This is related to the Insulin Index (how fast Insulin is released into the blood stream) but not the same thing.

In general, only Diabetics need to worry about GI foods:
    Type 1s like me need to worry about GI if we are having a low blood sugar attack and need quick sugar

Type 2s need to worry about GI because lower GI foods help them achieve better blood sugar control and make their medications more effective.

Athletes worry about GI too much. Many people think low GI = better, but this is not really true. Lower GI foods don't mean less insulin response: we've now learned that insulin tends to be a function of the total carbohydrate of a meal, not the GI of the meal. 100 grams of carbs from a high GI and 100gs of carbs from a low GI source will only have a few minutes of difference in blood sugar response and and an over all identical Insulin response.

The GI was developed for Diabetics for the purposes I mentioned above. It makes such a small difference to non diabetics that you shouldn't really worry about it.

For example: A Mars Bar has a lower GI than a glass of Orange Juice. Would you think the Mars bar is better for an athlete because it's lower GI? Of course not.

GI is affected by different combinations of foods, amount of fiber, amount of protein, amount of fat, type of fat, and proportion of each component of the meal.

Far too complex and far too useless for anyone to really waste time on.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.