Someone please educate me on bmw's like 330 325 ci and all this stuff

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by thomor25, Feb 9, 2004.

1. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

I mean I like e36 m3's I want to get a nice looking sedan thats fast but I'm just out of college and I want to save for a nice car. I also don't want to be the guy that has to trade in his sports car for a minivan when he has kids. I was looking at 330's m5's e36 m3 sedans and some mercedes c240's and stuff and was wondering what is the difference between the bmw numbers? I like the mercedes c240 but I want to know more aobut what the numbers mean for the bmw's cause it will help make a decision.

2. czm3

czm3 Guest

That a big variety of cars you were looking at.

Generally speaking the first number, 3, shows the car is a three series. The second two numbers show the engine's displacement. So the 325 is a three series with a 2.5 liter engine.

the 330 has you guessed it, a 3.0 liter engine. The M3 is a high performance version of the three series. Alot like the AMG cars from Mercedes. The M5 is the high performance version of the 5 series.

Again with 5 series the second two numbers show the displacement. A 540 is a five series with a 4.0L engine.

Hopefully that clears it up a little.

My personal suggestion if you need those extra two doors......

1999 or 2000 M5

Unless you want to pony up the 80K for a E class Amg55 this is the four door car to have.

3. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

The numbers work the same for Mercedes.
    The C240 is a C-class with a 2.4litre engine. The 320, a 3.2litre. Kompressor on the Mercedes means a supercharger.
    With the AMG Mercedes models, the two numbers denote engine displacement aswell. The E55 is a 5.5litre.

4. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

wow I never knew that all makes sense now. what does the ci and that stand for?

5. czm3

czm3 Guest

Ci in BMW talk is a 2 door while the i is a regular 4 door (three series only).

6. czm3

czm3 Guest

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :cool:

7. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Wrong it's actually 5.4 liters (5,439cc). Along with all the MB models that bare the "55" insignia ;)

8. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

The e55 amg is awesome but mainly in straight line speeds and luzury. an e39 m5 has got nice materials/finsih, and superb handling speed, etc. dont waste money on a e55 unless all you want is straight speed with garbage handling

M5 =best sedan ever made, until the e60 m5 with a v10 and 500+hp :)