Someone is trying to hack into my computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gordy, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Gordy

Gordy Guest

I have a firewall but I am getting IP addresses that are supposedly scanning ports. Another reason why I think this is happening I have noticed that just in the past few days I have had to reset my passwords in my email accounts and bank account information because someone has changed them. I have tried the back trace on my personal firewall but I don't get any information other than the information is in RPSL format. My question is there anyway to track an IP address to a certain person or place? If there is how do I do it?

2. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

could try neotrace. that and a little social engineering usually gets whatever info is sought.

3. Gordy

Gordy Guest

Thanks Guardfather for the info. I am just curious how a hacker's mind works how they know what to do to get into someone else's computer and do things to it. I really bugs me not to be able to understand how it can happen.

4. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

could be just infected computers running scans trying to find open holes to propogate to

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Tracing the IP back may not turn anything up that you can really use.
    It's best to just do a complete virus scan and spyware scan.
    Port scans are the normal part of every day life on the net, evenyone gets port scanned all the time. As long as you have a firewall that can block the scan and return nothing, you're more or less safe.

If you really want to fell as safe as you can, back up any data you can't get back and format the drive and then reinstall the OS and whatever extra software from a fresh reliable source. Just besure to have the firewall up and in place before connecting to the net again...having an anti-virus in place before getting back online is a good idea as well.