Someone help me put together a gaming PC.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ba105, Nov 21, 2006.

1. ba105

ba105 New Member

specs i need to make are...

Processor:p4 3Ghz or AMD equivalent
    RAM:1024 Mb

Pretty easy i know, 5-6 years ago i could have done this, but with todays "duo core" and what not, i know nothing... literally nothing about it anymore.

I'm only looking for the basic, a new motherboard, fan, chip(s), and 512mb ram, and mabye a new power supply depending on the mobo requirements.

Help me with the specifics of what i want within a 600$ budjet of course.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

That's a tall order budget wise.

Are you going to be using any pieces/parts from your older build?

3. ba105

ba105 New Member

i plan on it yea... the budjet is for a mobo, and chip(s) and ram, and cpu fan

my power is newer so i doubt ill need one of those either.
    i beleive its 500W

im not looking for something seriously extreme, just somehting that will play todays current games at 30+fps.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Look at the asus P5B motherboard ($135) and the E6300 ($180), with 1Gb of ram from Crucial, Kingston, Corsair or OCZ ($100 to $150), and you should be close to your price range. If you plan on getting a decent video card, you should make sure you have a good power supply, a generic 500w power supply just won't cut it. A decent 500w power supply will give you 25+ amps on the 12 volt rail, and will supply enough power for that cpu and a good video card. A higher end video card will require more power, upwards of 30 amps on the 12 volt rail.

5. Hard-Won-Fame

Hard-Won-Fame New Member

It all depends on your budget and how extreme you are going. I am currently running an AMD Athlon 4800+ (2.64GHz Dual Core) with an ATI Radeon x1900xtx off of a single 550W power supply. The Power supply was built to SLI a pair of nVidia 7800GTX's together with a pretty powerful processor so I would consider that the low end for power if you are planning to SLI or Crossfire.

A P4 3.0 Ghz AMD equivilent these days in the dual core market would put you at the AMD Athlon 4200+ (2.2 GHz Dual core) Its a pretty solid processor with a full Mb of L2 Cache per core. I am pretty sure that this processor is available in the new AM2 Socket but either way 939, or AM2 the performance difference is minimal to non-existant, however support for newer AMD processors would be lost if you went 939.

I recommend at least a Gig of RAM, Corsair is preferable, but Kingston is good enough.

For a motherboard, go ASUS, they have quite a few competitive SLI and Crossfire solutions depending on what you want to go for.

6. ba105

ba105 New Member

sounds good.

so im looking for a AMD Athlon 4200+ with an ASUS motherboard