someone explain HDMI passthru

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ayutollah, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Ayutollah

Ayutollah Guest

looking at a HTIB that sports this, basically I need to connect my ps3 and hdmi dvd player though it and then out to the tv.

As I understand, it will only pass the audio through the receiver, so I will need to run a seperate optical cable for the full 5.1 sound. My Tv (samsung lns4051d) has an optical out already, so will I need to run a seperate optical cable for each device, or can I run an hdmi out from the receiver and then optical out from the tv back to the receiver???

2. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

basically it just allows you to use the reciever to select which hdmi is going to the tv. you will still need a seperate auido cable to get 5.1. if the reciever has full hdmi the audio is sent on the hdmi and the the video is passed through the reciever.

3. joetama

joetama New Member

It means that the device acts as a switch between the HDMI inputs...

4. Ayutollah

Ayutollah Guest

so I should be able to run one optical out from the tv to the receiver without having to use a seperate optical cable for each hdmi device?

5. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

a lot of people try that but it seems that it doesn't work for most people.

6. Jocko

Jocko New Member

It depends on the tv. I have a fairly new Samsung LCD that only passes 2 channel via optical from HDMI but does pass 5.1 from my off air antenna.

7. ///M

///M New Member

I believe this could be avoided and your HDMIs-in to the receiver will transmit all 5.1/6.1/7.1/whatever channels if the receiver supports HDMI 1.3 :o

8. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Just b/c a receiver supports hdmi 1.3 doesn't give it the ability to support audio decoding through the receiver. Most of the low end Denons such as the AVR1708 are 1.3 but will only pass audio through hdmi....you still need to hook up an optical or digi coax.