someone explain "Donnie Darko" to me *SPOILER WARNING*

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Ziggy!Talon, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Ziggy!Talon

Ziggy!Talon Guest

spoilers on next post, didnt want to ruin it for anyone that hasnt seen this awesome movie...

2. 9volt

9volt If you see me running, try to keep up

ban.

3. WeRdToYoMoThA

WeRdToYoMoThA Girlies on Standby, Waiting to say Hi

any specific questions? iw atched last saaturdya and am starting to udnerstand the main point of it :o

4. Brujo

Brujo New Member

I need an explanation as well...

I understand that he can see his future at times (the chest thing)...

and that what hits his room is the engine from his mother's plane that she is riding on, and it takes a wormhole...

but how the hell does frank go back in time as well, and only appear to donnie?

Whats the relevance of the teachers? there seems to be more to them...

Obviously, Roberta Sparrow knew more... what role other than the book writer did she play? Why was she awating the letter... She knew Donnie or someone was going to write it... but he said nothing important in the letter...

I guess thats all I can think of for now...

5. WeRdToYoMoThA

you are so wrong its amusing :rofl:

6. Brujo

Brujo New Member

Well, enlighten me...

7. Ziggy!Talon

Ziggy!Talon Guest

Ok, i've come up with x conclusions on what went down in this movie....

1. parallel universe was created, because of how they showed the "alternate" ending, the question is however, how could the engine from the plane that his parents were in crash into his house where his parents also were? did Donnie somehow travel back in time then and did his actions (going up in the hills to die/watch the end of the world) have any effect on where the engine landed?, or is it just a glitch in the fabric of time?

wait a minute, how the fuck did it just, jesus fuck nevermind, someone just explain it, im completely confused now, this movie completely mindfucked me..

8. WeRdToYoMoThA

first of all, read this: this is the "philosophy of time travel" book that the science teacher hadns to darko. it was a work of fiction, but Kelly wrote it to go along with the movie.

The Tangent Universe
    The Primary Universe is fraught with great peril. War, plague, famine and natural disaster are common. Death comes to us all.

The Fourth Dimension of Time is a stable construct, though it is not impenetrable.

Incidents when the fabric of the fourth dimension becomes corrupted are incredibly rare.

If a Tangent Universe occurs, it will be highly unstable, sustaining itself for no longer than several weeks.

Eventually it will collapse upon itself, forming a black hole within the Primary Universe capable of destroying all existence.

Water and Metal
    Water and Metal are the elements of Time Travel.

Water is the barrier element for the construction of Time Portals used as gateways between Universes at the Tangent Vortex.

Metal is the transitional element for the construction of Artifact Vessels.

The Artifact and the Living
    When a Tangent Universe occurs, those living nearest to the Vortex will find themselves at the epicenter of a dangerous new world.

Artifacts provide the first sign that a Tangent Universe has occured.

If an Artifact occurs, the Living will retrieve it with great interest and curiosity. Artifacts are formed from metal, such as an Arrowhead from an Ancient Mayan civilization, or a Metal Sword from Medieval Europe.

Artifacts returned to the Primary Universe are often linked to religious iconography, as their appearance on Earth seems to defy logical explanation.

Divine intervention is deemed the only logical conclusion for the appearance of the Artifact.

The Living Receiver
    The Living Receiver is chosen to guide the Artifact into position for its journey back to the Primary Universe.

No one knows how or why a Receiver will be chosen.

The Living Receiver is often blessed with Fourth Dimensional Powers. These include increased strength, telekinesis, mind control, and the ability to conjure fire and water.

The Living Receiver is often tormented by terrifying dreams, visions and auditory hallucinations during his time within the Tangent Universe.

Those surrounding the Living Receiver, known as the Manipulated, will fear him and try to destroy him.

The Manipulated Living
    The Manipulated Living are often the close friends and neighbours of the Living Receiver.

They are prone to irrational, bizarre, and often violent behaviour. This is the unfortunate result of their task, which is to assist the Living Receiver in returning the Artifact to the Primary Universe.

The Manipulated Living will do anything to save themselves from Oblivion.

The Manipulated Dead
    The Manipulated Dead are more powerful than the Living Receiver. If a person dies within the Tangent Dimension, they are able to contact the Living Receiver through the Fourth Dimensional Construct.

The Fourth Dimensional Construct is made of Water.

The Manipulated Dead will manipulate the Living Receiver using the Fourth Dimensional Construct (see Appendices A and B).

The Manipulated Dead will often set an Ensurance Trap for the Living Receiver to ensure the Artifact is returned safely to the Primary Universe.

If the Ensurance Trap is successful, the Living Receiver is left with no choice but to use his Fourth Dimensional Powers to send the Artifact back in time into the Primary Universe before the Black Hole collapses upon itself.

Dreams
    When the Manipulated awaken from their journey into the Tangent Universe, they are often haunted by the experience in their dreams.

Many of them will not remember.

Those who do remember the Journey are often overcome with profound remorse for the regretful actions buried within their Dreams, the only physical evidence buried within the Artifact itself, all that remains from the lost world.

Ancient myth tells us the Mayan Warrior killed by an Arrowhead that had fallen from a cliff, where there was no Army, no enemy to be found.

We are told of the Medieval Knight mysteriously impaled by the sword he had not yet built.

We are told that these things occur for a reason.

9. Brujo

Brujo New Member

Also, before Gretchen is hit with the car, Donnie says "Deus Ex Machina", and the other guy asks what he said... and Donnie replies to something like "Our God"...

But Deus Ex Machina means a crappy, not thought out ending... And it means 'God of the machines"...

Any relevance...

Sorry that I may be really wrong about this... but I want to know more about the movie...

10. Brujo

Brujo New Member

OK, read the little thing... then what was Donnie suppose to retrieve or deliver?

11. 1337

1337 Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

woah... how about a paraphrasing?

12. WeRdToYoMoThA

first of all, the chest thing is one of the super powers given to the Living Receiver ("The Living Receiver is often blessed with Fourth Dimensional Powers. These include increased strength, telekinesis, mind control, and the ability to conjure fire and water.") Fourth dimension being time, he can see into the short future (trails leaving the chests). This is also how he was able to put the axe through the bronze statue.

second... the engine isnt from the plane that his mother was on, i THINK. i am not sure about this part, because it is never told where the engine came from. When he was at the golf course instead of his room when the engine hit, it created a tanget universe, in which he was able to see the consequences of his survival. Because of this, his mother, girlfriend, and sister all die, and lots of bad shit happens.

third.... frank does not go back in time, there is no physical time travel involved in this movie. Frank is one of the Manipulated living, and later the manipulated dead. He guides Donnie through the tangent universe so he cans ee the ocnsequences of his survival. He is also the boyfriend of Donnie's sister.

The teachers arent very important, other than again guiding Donnie through his realization. Example: Drew Barrymore tells him of Cellar Door, the science teacher gives him "The philosphy of tie travel", etc.

Roberta Sparrow's role was to write the book, but also to be on that road. After the smurf discussion, one of the friends says "someone should write that bitch" and donnie does. Roberta is in the street reading the letter when Frank drives, swerves, and kills Gretchen.

13. WeRdToYoMoThA

through the series of "coincidences", he has to get back to the creation of the tangent universe, and be in his room to die at that point, or not die, depending on what he chooses. the main coincidence is having his mother and sister out of the house so he can throw the party, they can die, and he can kill frank after he runs over Gretchen. This shows him the complete consequences of his life. THis is why at the end he is laughing/smiling when the engine hits his room, because he knows that he is dying and needs to die.

14. WeRdToYoMoThA

too hard to paraphrase all that :hs:

15. Brujo

Brujo New Member

Thank you...

so basically, Donnie escaped death, and the shit hit the fan b/c of it...

but didnt frank take him out of his house when the engine was suppose to hit?

16. WeRdToYoMoThA

17. Ziggy!Talon

Ziggy!Talon Guest

Werdtoyomotha: that answers pretty much everything, i'm confused on this part though..

is the whole reason frank caused donnie to cheat death because he "frank" died in the parallel universe and he had to fix it?

18. BIGBALLS

BIGBALLS Guest

Werdtoyomotha = donnie darko guru :cool:

19. Brujo

Brujo New Member

It usually refers to a sudden event that happens out of no where to resolve a situation...

Looked it up...

20. WeRdToYoMoThA

what parallel universe? you mean the normal one or the tangent one created from donnie's escape from death?

21. WeRdToYoMoThA

i watched it for the first time on saturday. since then i did some research,w atched it 2 more times, and now i understand about 75% of it :hs:

im still trying to figure out what the fat guy in red suit has to dow ith anything, and what the chinese girl is all about.

22. Ziggy!Talon

Ziggy!Talon Guest

i meant the tangent one, but im so completely confused now that i don't even know what i was talking about when i typed that now..

23. KBs

KBs OT Supporter

Donnie Darko > my brain

24. WeRdToYoMoThA

donnie had been sleep walking for a long time before the start of the movie. i think it was Frank that put him away fro there to tell him to die pretty much, otherwise all that will happen.

however, the philosphy of time talks about an artifact (in this case its the jet engine) that The Living Receiver is chosen to guide the Artifact into position for its journey back to the Primary Universe. This is the main thing that i dont understand. According to this, the tangent universe is created because of that artifact being misplaced, but i dont understand how that fits at all.

25. WeRdToYoMoThA

yeah i know its the same guy, but im not so sure he is there on assignment from the FAA.