Someone explain caloric deficits to me.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Guld, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

I probably sound like a retard for asking, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. :o So let's say you take in 2000 cals a day to maintain, and you're trying to cut, so you cut out 500 cals a day giving you 1500 cals a day. As a result you will lose a pound a week, 3500cals in a pound. That's all fine and well, but what happens when you start doing cardio? If you did cardio and burned 500 cals a day. Wouldn't that put you down to only taking in 1000 cals a day and your body would think it was fasting? I'm probably wrong about this, but if that's not how it works then how does it?

2. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

do you want to maintain or cut?

3. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

Cut.

4. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

you're wrong about this. You're still taking in 1500 calories a day, but your maintenance just went up to 2500kcal, you'd still be in a 1000kcal deficit thus losing roughly 2lbs a week, which IMO is way the fuck too much of a deficit for someone who's normal maintenance is 2000kcal unless you're a 5'4" woman or some shit.

But... your body is processing these 1500 calories and you're receiving the nutrition of 1500 calories. Whether or not you go into starvation mode or not depends on your body :hs:

5. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

ok than whats the problem?

the more cals you burn the better.

6. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

It was just an example, the numbers where easier to work with. :hsugh::o
    So with cardio, the number of calories to maintain goes up? So if I where to stop making a dietary caloric deficit and eat what I needed to maintain, then did cardio of the same amount, I would get the same results as if I were to have made the deficit through my diet?

7. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

pretty much... the problem is you have no way of really determining how many calories you are burning from cardio

8. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

So should I be trying to balance dietary deficits and exercise deficits to keep an average deficit of like 500 or so? For example taking in more calories if I've done more exercise to produce a larger deficit than 500 and vice versa?

9. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

Probably the best idea. Cardio has more benefits than just burning calories, so don't cut it out and just eat less. Best idea is to get some calipers, learn how to measure your body fat, and just keep track. Weigh and measure once a week or so, adjust your calories/cardio to fit your goals. Be sure to get enough protein (1g/lb or so).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.