Someone explain all the 5.1 Dolby

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by blykins, Jul 20, 2006.

1. blykins

blykins New Member

Zeti Reticula Star System in the Orion Constellati
    I am getting a surround sound receiver. I see it can do the following:
    Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES®, DTS Neo:6, Pro Logic® IIx, and DTS 96/24 processing.
    Whats all those mean? Are some better than others? Are some DVD's only set up for certain ones?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I don't know all of them, but DTS is the nice audio that a DVD can be encoded with. Pro Logic is used to up-mix a stereo source to play from all speakers. DTS 96/24 refers to a 96KHz/24-bit source, as opposed to a 44.1KHz or 48KHz source.

3. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

Yes, the majority of DVDs will either be in Dolby Digital or DTS. I've only seen a couple that were in DTS-ES. Then There's THX, which is another story.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Dolby Pro Logic IIx
    State-of-the-art matrix decoding technology that expands native two- and 5.1-channel source audio for 6.1- or 7.1-channel playback (Left/Center/Right/Left surround/Left Back/Right surround/Right Back/Low-Frequency Effects), resulting in a seamless, wraparound soundfield. Found in: Home audio/video receivers; select PCs and laptops; automotive decoders and processors.

neo: 6 is matrixing of some sort for 2 channel audio and i think it decoes the center channel or something, i think it might be one of those decoders that work with 2-channel music/audio into surround sound :dunno:

5. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

Digital EX=6 channel. the 6th speaker is a center rear that is comprised of whichever sounds repeat themselves in RL/RR

Dts- ES= DTS version of above

DTS Neo basicaly the same thing but can do it with a 2 chanel. Fancy name for fake surround sound

DTS 96/24 these are just bit processing numbers. no big deal

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

DTS /= Dolby

7. manc_ill_kid

manc_ill_kid New Member

Dolby Pro Logic II takes a two channel signal, like from normal TV or from CDs and upmixes it to 5.1 (left, right, centre, left surround, right surround and a sub channel)
    DTS NEO:6 does much the same takes a two channel signal and upmixes it to six channels, I think the there's a rear centre
    Dolby Digital EX is a special surround encoding you get an big movie DVDs like Lord of the Rings, where it can take the usual Dolby 5.1 audio and turn it into 7.1 (left rear surround, right rear surround)
    DTS 96/24 is apparently cool higher fidelity audio signal you get on some DVDs where its got twice the resolution of normal DVD/CD audio. I don't think you'll notice it unless you have a really high-end system.

It looks like this surround processor covers all the audio types you need for watching DVDs and playing CDs