GUN someoen explain to me how part kits work

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thomor25, Dec 8, 2007.

1. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

I saw auctions for M249 Paras less the reciever. can I legally buy these kits and make a reciever for them. I can't make them full auto I have to make it semi obviously but.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The serialized receiver is the part that has to be made or transferred through a ffl. The rest of the gun is just parts and can be bought and sold freely.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You are also able to make your own receiver if you have the means to do so.

4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

:werd: though only if you would otherwise be allowed to own a firearm.

It gets a little foggy, at least to me, when it comes to having to mark them (ie serial, but I don't think you do) or the legality of selling a gun at some point years down the road, I don't know if it is like a C&R that you can buy/build for other's but you can sell from your collection.

I've thought it would be pretty cool to buy an 80% 1911 frame (if I could find one, most seem to be 60% frames) and built a personal custom gun on it. I wonder how a home built 1911 with no serial number would go over if I ever moved to cali. :noes:

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

There's people who will tell you need serial number or no, you don't need one. From what I've read, the law is unclear at best. From what I've gathered you don't need to mark it in anyway. If it gets stolen and it's unmarked you really have no way of tracing it so I can see why some people would want to.

I'm going to be helping with two 1919 builds tomorrow, I'll get some pics, they are from the 80% receivers that were sold before the ATF ruled they were too close to 100% :rolleyes:. One will be semi (not sure the caliber) and the other will be an 8mm machine gun.

6. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

From my understanding, and i've done a lil bit of reading because i would love to build an 80% 1911, that you do not need to mark it in any way, you can if you want to of course. Selling it however will more than likely get you into a world of hurt because unless you have the FFL and the manufacturing liscense you could very easily get busted for manufacture and selling (duh). so if you plan on building or constructing your own out of a flat or an 80% it would be the best of you to not sell it.

on the one hand, by creating your own 80% or flat, the govt has no real proof of ownership of said gun outside of proof of parts kit purchase + partial reciever which is a huge plus if shit ever hits the fan ban wise.

7. Keesh

Keesh New Member

That's a pretty big plus in my book. Of course I've bought guns before FTF and the only thing the person knew about me was my first name :dunno: If there's one thing I'm thankful for about gun ownership in the US it's that I'm not required to register my guns. We all know what is bound to happen after that...

8. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

A rash of boating accidents??

9. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I take the safe in my rowboat :coolugh: I don't want to be away from my guns for 1 second.

10. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I have a feeling if something like that were to happen, the level of Lake Michigan should rise with all the claims of sunken guns...

11. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

There was a lawsuit about this several years ago.

I built a 1919a4 from a parts kit. Its my fav gun!

No serial number can be required from the ATF because it was considered to be an encrouchment by the government on an individuals rights to bare arms.
    Thus my gun has a serial number but only because I decided I wanted to give it one.

Otherwise you can sell your gun and under serial number put N/A. I have never had a problem doing that through an FFL

12. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

The other nice factor about the whole build your own is that you legitimately could buy the parts kit, and the "reciever" and put them away, build it after a no-build ban went into effect and the govt would have no idea when it was actually built

13. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

That is true, but why wait, you'd have a fully functional firearm now, and if you needed replacement parts they'd probably be easier to come by before any kind of ban went into effect, granted if it was only on building you could get repair parts, but if it was on all guns it would be a little more tricky.

14. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Good luck with that expensive ass project.

15. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Haven't you seen Thomor's threads before? He's a baller. :coolugh:

16. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Ive seen'em, more power to him.

$10k semi belt feds arent that cool.

17. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

I think they are cool, I just can't afford them. :wtc:

18. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

well, obviously my reasoning is a lil screwy on this one, but, lets say the govt decides to raid everyone's house in search of guns (highly unlikely, but for arguements sake, lets run w/ it), a parts kit w/ a destroyed reciever isnt a gun by law, and an AK flat isnt a "gun" by law either, therefore it can't be confiscated if found, and can be assembled at a later date ftw

19. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd: PKM > that less then $3k into it, now I just need to put it all together :o

20. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I guess you are correct if they maintain the current wording of the law, rather than including materials that are related to firearms including parts and kits, if they raid guns in all houses they will raid everything else, ammo, reloading supplies, ect. Even if they don't get a gun if there is little to no ammo it won't be any good, unless its a mosin then it can still be a club, a paddle, hammer and a fishing spear.

21. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

true

22. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

plus if you build it now and there is no record and even if they do search houses, they can't do every single one all at once, so you'll know about it. Since they don't have a 4473 tracing the gun to you or a ftf record tracing the gun to you, just put it under the insulation or in a garbage bag and burry it. Then when they come and find "all the guns" they won't look too hard cause they found all 15 nicely packaged in a steel takeout box.

23. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

I just looked on OOWs website. They built a semi M240, small price of $13.5k. :rofl:

Im sure it's well worth it, but god damn.

24. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I'll take an HK sear for that much and have 10x the fun.

25. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

could you give me more info about the case that said you didn't have to mark a homemade receiver?

Also, Squid, more info on the PKM? :noes: