somebody help me with mp3 players please

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by this, Feb 27, 2005.

1. this

this Guest

Ok so what is the deal with all these mp3 players? Is it true that the ipod will only play mp3s with a special, protected format?

What about the other players on the market, do I have to buy songs from a special source to play them? I have gigs of mp3s that I have downloaded from various places and I need a player that will play *any* mp3.

Also, what is the difference between hard drive, micro drive and flash players? I understand the difference in the storage media being used, but I want a player that I will play through my car stereo (don't want in dash). Is one type better/worse than the other for reliablity in such a scenario? I need about 5gb of storage.

Lastly, can anyone recommend a good way to connect the player to my car's stereo? I assume since there are no input jacks in the stereo and I don't have a cassette player I will need to broadcast from the player to the radio. Do any units do this out of the box or do I need an adapter? Is the sound quality reduced by doing this? I have a kickin bose setup in the car so would like to avoid any serious sound quality degredations.

TIA

2. 04

04 Guest

No, the Ipod will play any mp3 files.

AFAIK, all of the players will play *any* mp3. There may be an exception out there, but I doubt anyone would buy it.

If you need 5 gigabytes of storage, you're pretty much going to have to use a magnetic disc drive (like what the ipod has). I don't know of any players that feature 5 gigabytes of solid state storage.

Unless you have an auxiliary input, you will either have to use a tape adaptor or a FM modulator. Both will reduce quality, but it may or may not be audible.

3. this

this Guest

Thanks. So the compatibility thing is just for the pay to download services. That clears things up.