GUN Some XD vs Glock observations

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sylva, May 28, 2007.

1. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Just some observations a friend sent me after he got back from a trip.

Guys,
    I just wanted to pass along some good info to those of you who don't get a chance to shoot much but would like input from operators / former operators about choices on Glock vs XD pistols. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a former Recon Marine and Scout Sniper. I was in the Corps for 10yrs and an instructor teaching Tier 2 operators in the Marine Corps for the last 3 years. I've also spent about 3 years with a company in the Private Security sector doing PSD work in Iraq, and am now an instructor training active duty personnel in weapons and tactics before their deployments overseas.

Our instructor cadre just returned from a week of shooting at Mid South Institute (John Shaw's) in Walls Mississippi doing the intermediate rifle and pistol course. I put about 6,000 rounds of 9mm ammo downrange through an XD "Tactical" and about the same amount of 5.56mm ammo through my rifle. I can tell you that after using the Glock 19 overseas for the last 3 years, and owning a G23 that shooting the XD was like returning to a pair of well broken in shoes. I had reconfigured all my muscle memory to that of the Glock, and after picking up the XD many of my favorite things about the 1911 came screaming back to me. The pistol feels more like a Browning High power, but has the same grip angle as the 1911 and points like it. The trigger does not have the "spongy" feel of the Glock and is actually a true single action whereas the Glock is a type of double action. The reset of the trigger makes it easy to work the slack out and make VERY fast multiple shots and the high grip makes recoil management a pleasure. A good shooting stance and grip combined with this pistol makes for a quick and deadly combination. Out of all those rounds I only experienced four malfunctions. Three of them were failure to fire and upon inspection of the ammo there were light primer strikes. This was mainly due to the type of ammo, since we were shooting Government 9mm and they have unbelieveably hard primers, but my pistol has had some trigger work done to it and it COULD be partially responsible. There were two others in our group shooting the same weapon which were bone stock and they had no such problems. I also had one double feed that was traced to a bad magazine. It seems as though the follower has a bit of drag but can be rectified with a little patience and a dremel tool.

Overall I give this pistol VERY high marks and will likely sell or trade off my G23 for a 4" XD. It points so naturally, feels so good and shoots so well it is just impossible to fault it. I also like the grip safety which is not present on the Glock. That safety will not allow the trigger to be pulled, OR the slide to cycle unless it is depressed. It just allows another layer of protection without being something that can result in an "OMG" moment if you forget about it. As a sidenote, I shot all those rounds without any cleaning, just a little fresh lube each day before shooting. I would not reccomend doing this under normal circumstances, but wanted to see if it COULD be done without negative results. The presence of a chamber status indicator and cocking indicator make for easy tactile checking in the dark, although I still do a "press check" anyway. All in all, if you are a die hard 1911 person and want to get on the polymer handgun bandwagon, look no further. The only negative I can think of is a relative small amount of accessories and parts for it, but as time passes and this pistol goes out in larger numbers that should be a self correcting problem.

2. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Active Member

Good post. Looking forward to picking up my XD9 Service next week :)

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Interesting, thanks for the write-up. Do you like the XD over a 1911, and why or why not?

4. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Glad you like it, I still prefer the feel, size, and grip angle of my Glock, but those things are all personal preferences.

However when my trigger spring breaks, I'll keep fighting... what will you do when yours breaks since you can't manually reset the XD trigger? :dunno:

:bigthumb:

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  5. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

You can "manually" reset it by inserting a small flat head screw in to the space between the frame and plastic cover of cocking indicator. There is a piece of metal that goes downward when you pull the trigger. When you manually pull it down trigger resets.

6. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Yes... I meant in the middle of a firefight.

7. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

You'd be SOL with XD.

8. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

World's finest CQB pistol vs. Well marketed POS.

9. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

... Gambling problem? Please call 1-877-GET-HELP... :wavey:

10. JaimeZX

You know where my loyalties lie. ;)
    I'm just curious. :dunno:

John Browning's next design after the 1911. :cool:

11. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Never forget.

High powers are neat. I want one badly :hs:

12. JaimeZX

Post pics of your Hi-power

13. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

I had a nice and brief encounter with an XD. I bought one for my wife and one for myself. She still has hers and loves it. Shooting the XD back to back with my Kimber made the XD trigger feel like garbage. Don't get me wrong, the XD did everything it was supposed to. I actually shot it very well. In the brief amount of time I owned it I put upwards of 700 rounds through it with no failures of any kind. It does indeed point like a 1911. That is where the similarities end. I'll take a 1911 over an XD any day. My XD has been replaced by a Kimber Pro Carry to go with the full size Kimber.