A&P Some Wedding Photos

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Keesh, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I got hired for my first wedding, so don't expect too much out of these :hs:
    Anyway, I would like some feedback so the next time I'm going to do one, I can do it a little better.

[​IMG]
    :love:

[​IMG]
    I'm not sure if would have been better with the groom looking at the camera or not.

[​IMG]
    Her dress is a little washed out :hs:.

[​IMG]
    Bride with boquet.

[​IMG]
    Groom.

[​IMG]
    A little girl at the wedding.

2. natelam

natelam New Member

First of all, who has a wedding in the gym?

Secondly, if you are shooting staged portraits (1,2,3 I assume). Stage them correctly. Position them so they actually look good. Use the challenges of perspective, angles and shadows to your advantage. Even if the bride is taller, don't make the groom look like a midget. Make sure they aren't squinting or looking in other directions. You are the photographer, you tell them what to do, you make sure you have control over your shots. If you're going to shoot an outdoor portrait, pick an appealing backdrop, if you're going to shoot a natural light portrait, at least have them face the right direction, or use a reflector. Learn to properly white balance - tungsten lighting ALWAYS is overly warm, and overly warm is terrible for weddings, especially for the bride (white dress + warm lighting = sunburned lobster) so adjust accordingly. Get good exposures the first time so your post processing doesn't blow out the wedding dress (that's always the first thing to go!) If anything, meter the dress, so that you preserve its details and adjust the rest later. Use more manipulated lighting if you need to, and you NEEDED to in the last 2 pictures imho. Your photography should be an expression of the best day of their lives.

P.S. Women hate "arm" shots and straight-on portraits. The last thing they want to see is their arms in an unflattering angle, or how the bad side of their face compares to the good side. Use your knowledge and skills as a photographer to mold the composition especially when you have the control.

Some advice, don't shoot your first wedding alone. Follow a seasoned photographer a couple times, then offer your services. If you are asked and you don't have experience, make that clear and don't accept payment.

Sorry I'm being critical, but you are being paid. I'm sure the bride's mother is even more critical.

-N

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  3. Racuerex

Racuerex New Member

Good advice! Also, the wedding may have been in the gym of a church, it sounds and looks like these people wernt exactly throwing out thousands for the wedding, so you have to make do with what you got, photographer included.

4. joy division

joy division New Member

How much did you charge :o

5. presidente

presidente New Member

your persepectiv sucks ass... are you 3 feet tall?

6. macadamiaman

macadamiaman New Member

Yeah, I did notice that a lot of pics were taken from a low angle.... from my experience, people HATE the way pictures come out when you do that (especially girls :))

And yeah - as natelam said - wedding dress is first to go. So meter that if you have to.

Churches have gyms now??

7. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Natelam :bowdown:

8. ZeroSkillet

ZeroSkillet Matt Hughes > *

They're boring...only decent one is the boquet one.

9. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Thanks for the advice. The reception was in the gym of their church, so that's why some of them are in a gym. Anyway, they are family friends so they had me do the wedding. This is their third child to get married and I was the first photographer they paid for. They knew I had never done one before either but I agreed because I could use the practice.
    I really had nothing to do with the angles, they just told me to walk around and take pictures, not arrage them.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice :bigthumb:

10. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:dunno: they just said they would mail me a check. I was only able to come to the wedding and then I had to leave right after. I've known them my whole life so it's no big deal. I'm a poor college student so any money is nice :hs:

11. MonkMonk

MonkMonk New Member

tell the groom to look at you and open his eyes

12. MonkMonk

MonkMonk New Member

wait, you did a waiting and have no clue how much your getting? :ugh:

13. ZeroSkillet

ZeroSkillet Matt Hughes > *

Take some classes or better yet just go on pbase.com or something similar to look at GOOD examples so you can get an idea of what to do.

These are very:wtf:

14. mojito

mojito New Member

This spot reserved for input in a bit when I have time

15. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I'm not worried about it. I would have done it for free, they are family friends.

16. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Will do :jerkit:

17. sony

sony Active Member

You've just joined the ranks of phidong! :mad:

18. MonkMonk

MonkMonk New Member

:rofl:

19. Rotate

Rotate New Member

Nice.

20. mojito

mojito New Member

won't that create a blackhole in the universe?

21. sony

sony Active Member

So that's where they come from :noes: Time to write an academic journal on this and get published :x:

22. BadRotation

BadRotation New Member

They dont need to tell you what pictures they want. they have more important things to worry about. YOU and ONLY YOU need to let them know how to pose, instead of 'just walking around taking pictures'

You go in there with a set mission of what shots you need, AND YOU TAKE THEM. Then you worry about walking around and taking candids. dont just go in there like a gump wandering around aimlessly taking random photos.

You also need to use reflectors, or fill flash. Nobody wants to see shadows in peoples eye sockets.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  23. The Internet

The Internet New Member

Next time, I would strive to find more attractive subjects. Just a thought.

24. The Internet

The Internet New Member

Seriously though, congrats for having the courage to shoot a wedding. However, there are definitely several aspects that you need to work on, particularly the following:
    -Lighting
    -Composition
    -Perspective (way, way too low)
    -Color temperature in the gym photos (can be adjusted in photoshop)
    -Exposure

Let me just give a few pointers about lighting for now.

Take a close look at your photos, particularly the lighting on your subjects' faces in the outdoor shots. The first shot comes the closest to having correct lighting (in fact, with a crop and a few PS adjustments, it would be a good picture). However, the other shots cast an array of unflattering shadows on the groom - and worse yet, the bride. Notice for instance how the bride's nose is exaggerated, how her eyes appear to be sunken, and how her face as a whole seems to be wrinkled/contorted by her smile. Sorry man, but at least half the blame has to be placed on you for that. A good photographer will find the most flattering angle of their subject's face and use lighting which will make many of their blemishes melt away.

In short, you need to start using a fill flash... and if you already are, then you are going to need a more robust one. Better yet, for portraits, use a reflector (something as simple as an umbrella) to redirect/diffuse your light instead of hitting the subject straight on with a harsh beam. Try bouncing your flash so that it comes down from above: to do this, aim the flash straight up and angle your reflector so that the redirected light will illuminate the lower lip of the subject. Keep this target in your mind's eye when you take the shot.

Doing so will achieve several things:
    -The shadows on your subject's face will be minimized
    -Their skin tone will be evened out; the subject's face will appear to "glow"
    -The shadow of the subject's body will not be visible in the picture because it will be cast on the ground, rather than directly behind the subject

Getting the correct lighting on your subject makes a HUGE difference. Mess with composition, perspective, white balance etc. all you want, but if you don't get the correct lighting... you will rarely get consistently great portraits. :hsd:

(Unless of course you are lucky and the sun decides to do all the work for you that day).