Some websites working, others not...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bsguy, Jun 15, 2006.

1. bsguy

bsguy New Member

My computer is a Dell Dimension 4600 with 3GHz, 512MB, and a 10/100 network card. I'm currently in Jakarta Indonesia using satellite internet. It goes through this box-like receiver, then to a modem, then to the computer. Regardless, I think its a software problem. Here's what happens:

Only certain websites work. I don't know which websites work, and which dont. So far I've found out that msn.com, yahoo.com, microsoft.com, macromedia.com, adobe.com, and google.com work. Nothing else I've tried works. Instead, I get the "this page cannot be displayed" message. However, this applies only to my desktop computer. My laptop, which is also runs WinXP SP2, can open any website without any problems. I should mention that my desktop USED TO work just fine. It is only recently that this problem has occured. I did have a technician come and use the computer for a brief amount of time. He may have changed some settings.

Does anyone know what would cause this type of behavior? I pinged yahoo and got a response, but www.dell.com (for example) got no response. So I don't think it's a problem with IE. I havent heard of any hijackers that would behave like this either. I have all the latest anti-spyware and antivirus programs. The hosts file only contains 127.0.0.1 localhost. I do not have a firewall on. I tried running a registry cleaner already and it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

when you ping does it resolve the name to an IP?

try: ipconfig /flushdns

then do some nslookups:

nslookup dell.com
    nslookup google.com
    nslookup cheese.com

Do they come back with IPs or do they timeout? If they timeout, it's a DNS problem.

If they resolve, then you need to do some traceroutes.

tracert google.com
    tracert dell.com
    tracert cheese.com

do they work? If they don't, then we have a routing problem. How far do they get? Could be a default gateway issue.

Next step, if all the previous works, is to try opening a connection:

telnet dell.com 80
    telnet cheese.com 80
    telnet google.com 80

Do they connect? Or do you get connection refused?

3. haga41

haga41 OT Supporter

I know that certain websites do block IP addresses from certain countries. My women works for a japanese website and she says they only allow access to their websites from 8 countries. The rest they deny access. :dunno: Just a thought for you.

Edit: I don't know how they do it, but this is just what she told me and what their IT guys tell her. This is my flame retardant suite from future flamings regarding this statement.

4. bsguy

bsguy New Member

I dont have a floppy, so I'm just retyping this stuff so sorry for any typos. I put a new line in between each command. Here's my results:

nslookup google.com
    DNS request timed out. Timeout was 2 seconds.
    Cant find server name for address <my dns server>: timed out
    server: ns2.telkom.net.id
    address: <my dns server>
    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: google.com
    Addresses: 72.14.207.99, and two others

nslookupdell.com
    DNS request timed out. Timeout was 2 seconds.
    Can't find server name for address <my dns server>
    Server: ns2.telkom.net.id
    Address: <my dns server>
    Name: dell.com
    Served by:
    -ns5.us.dell.com
    -ns1.us.dell.com.
    ...and so on for 2,3,4

tracert google.com
    Tracing route to google.com 72.14.207.99 over a maximum of 30 hops:
    1, 4ms 3ms 5ms <my default gateway and DHCP server adddress>
    2, * * * request timed out
    3, * * * request timed out
    4 through 13 (before i broke the operation), ranged from 700 to 900 ms, and a bunch of IP's

tracert dell.com
    Unable to resolve target system name dell.com

telnet google.com 80
    Connecting to google.com...
    *black cmd screen*

telnet dell.com 80
    Connecting to dell.com....Could not open connection to the host, on port 80: Connect failed.

Hope this helps. Cheese.com got the same results as Dell.com. How can I resolve this problem?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  5. haga41

haga41 OT Supporter

I really don't know about that, however I wonder if you need to reinstall your network card driver. I hope I said it right. It's the driver that connects you to the internet.

6. bsguy

bsguy New Member

I am aware of this. However, if I plug my ethernet cable into my laptop, it has no problem viewing any website. Also, the Dell desktop used to work jsut fine. Thanks for the idea though.

7. haga41

haga41 OT Supporter

When jollyogre checks back, he should have a better idea of what's going on for you. I do know though, when you do ping google, you should get some results back saying how many times you've pinged it or when you execute tracert there should be a list of IP that were pinged I believe. Wish I could help more. Good luck.

8. bsguy

bsguy New Member

I don't think a driver issue would only block certain websites. I could be wrong though. I'll wait for jolly to get back to me, but I'm off to bed now.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

okay, your network card driver is fine... Haga41, please don't help where you don't know. It can make things worse.

It appears to be a DNS issue. You successfully resolved google.com, and when you tried connecting to it, it was also successful. However, Dell did not work during DNS resolution, and you could not telnet to port 80.

I would talk to your ISP, if that is an option. Sounds like a DNS issue.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Does Indonesia have any internet-access laws that the technician may have been required to enforce? The fact that you can only connect to search engines directly is very suspicious...almost like the local search engines are required to filter their results, so you can't see certain things.

Could also be that the signal delay over your satellite internet connection is making less-patient servers time out waiting to fill your ping requests. The time it takes to travel 48000 miles AND wade through satellite transmission buffers, even at the speed of light, is nothing to sneeze at for a computer.

11. bsguy

bsguy New Member

Suppose I cannot talk to my ISP. Although I say it's "my" computer, it's really not. Is there another option? Also, why would it be a DNS problem? Shouldnt it also affect the laptop? Sorry, I'm not familiar with how DNS works other than it tries to resolve letters into IP's.

As far as I know, internet censorshipi is not enforced anywhere in Indonesia. I've discovered that I can connect to nytimes.com. But if this is true, and the technician DID do something, how can I find out what he did? And how do I change it back on my computer?

This may be the case, but why wouldnt it affect the laptop in the same way? I keep thinking its a problem on my desktop computer. I have 3 laptops, and two desktops. All 3 laptops surf the net fine. The desktop won't. I haven't' tested the other desktop because its a hassle to move the stuff around.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

download a linux livecd and boot to it. (I prefer Gentoo, but Ubuntu is also a good choice for livecds) Then try internet from that. It will eliminate software as the culprit without having to lose your data.

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You're right, if the satellite connection were causing the problem it would affect your laptop too. I didn't connect those dots; good thinking.

First, try the bootable Linux CD like Jolly suggested; that will confirm whether the problem is hardware or software. If the problem is software...

The easiest way to repair your computer is to run System Restore to revert back to a date when your internet worked properly. This won't affect your personal files, just your programs and your settings. Give that a shot and report back with the results.