Some very simple questions about setting up a network between mac os x and windows xp

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I am trying to create a network between my ibook and the windows xp computer in the house. I went to the windows computer and setup a home or small office network. I then shared both the harddrives. On my ibook I go to GO (in finder) and to connect to server and MSHOME is there. I click on it and bluebonnet it there which is the name of the windows xp machine in the house but when I try to connect to it I get an error 36. Whatever that means.

How can I connect these two computer so I can see each computer from another. thanks.

2. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

make sure Windows Sharing is enabled in your System Preferences -> Sharing

3. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

same domain?

4. Glitch

Glitch Da Pulp

i don't have any problem connecting to my shares, but i was wondering if there's a way to make them more like windows where i don't have to connect to every share individually... i have a lot of different folders :hs:

5. LifeBurnsFaster

LifeBurnsFaster New Member

:o i should have thought of this

6. frostedfrank

frostedfrank OT Supporter

I tried it but when I was able to share my mac files, it's like the whole computer was shared not just folders.. how would I go about sharing just one folder. like only music folder so that when I look from the windows computer there would only be one folder shared and not the whole drive.

7. Glitch

Glitch Da Pulp

explore to the folder you want to share, right click the folder, sharing and security, check the write boxes and name it and whatnot. same procedure as sharing out your drive root :dunno:

8. frostedfrank

I meant on the mac, my music in on the mac, and I would like to share only my music folder but I searched on net and was only able to find how to share everything but I only want to share the music folder. Sharing folders in winxp is fine I don't any problems with it. If only there was a way to see all the folders in osx instead of having to choose only one folder then mount them all :(

9. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

This might have something to do with with it.

I go to finder>go>connect to server. It has MSHOME which is the workgroup then it does find bluebonnet. I click on connect and it says looking for bluebonnet.home. (home is the domain on the router) and then it gives an error. Anyone know what's up?

10. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Did that. Same problem.

11. frostedfrank

so how do you share only one folder on the mac. so the windows user is directed to that directory only?

12. Liddy

Liddy Not enough cowbell.

The last time I networked my mac to a windows PC, I had to control everything from the windows PC...

It was pretty lame... but I only needed to copy some files and whatnot. I didn't make a permanent network connection. From what I remember it was a real pain to get the mac to talk to the PC, but not vice-versa.

13. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

how secure is it to keep windows file sharing enabled on my mac? yeah i know it looks for a username and password, but at this point i'm having trouble like other people where it's sharing everything on my hard drive

reason i'm asking - and this is really wierd- is because sometimes i need to share files with winxp on my mac through parallels. i can't just drag the files onto the parallels desktop (at least not yet, but soon from what i hear) so i just map a drive in winxp parallels to my macbook windows shares

14. Rip The Jacker

no actually the opposite is true. with my pc set to share already it took my mac 10 seconds to access it.

15. frostedfrank

I hope they make sharing easier in leopard, windows sharing is so easy compared to mac. right click share this folder FTW

16. Liddy

Liddy Not enough cowbell.

Dang.... I wish I had known you back then. :o

17. Rip The Jacker

i wouldnt know how to do it again :o

getting the mac to see the pc was cake, getting the PC to access the mac took a little playing around with, but basically i just had to set the mac to be on the same domain so the pc could see it.

its still kind of gay because my PC doesnt see my macs full name, just -mac or something like that, instead of josh's-mac.

18. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Since we've got some mixed-network crew in here, I've got a challenge to add.

My printer is attached to my desktop XP machine (USB connection, HP officejet 6100) and I've got it shared. I can print to it fine from windows laptops. When I try to set it up on the MBP though, I can SEE it but the mac doesn't seem to know or care what kind of printer it is - it asks me to select a driver, but there's no 6100 driver (and other HP choices haven't seemed to work). I tried downloading the OSX driver and installing it but that doesn't seem to help.

Anyone managed to use a windows shared printer successfully?

19. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i can print from my girlfriend's xp pro connected printer (hp deskjet)...but i can't print from my dad's xp connected printer. (hp deskjet, multiunit)
    i can print from my xp connected printer(canon photo printer)

weird, but doesn't bother me

20. Rip The Jacker

i just switch the cable. i'll be trying that in a couple days though, i'll let you know how it goes.

21. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

USB

22. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

:mamoru: