A&P Some tips needed. v.cargarage

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Blair, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Blair

Blair New Member

I have the oppurtunity to tour an amazing exotic car collection with my BMW club. Today I bought a D70s with my tax return :wiggle:

My guess is the lighting will be marginal at best. What do you guys suggest for technique for getting the best auto shots possible given what are sure to be less than ideal conditions. I really want these to turn out because apparently there are some amazingly rare cars.

And of course I'll post the pics when I get them.

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

either very good tripod, long exposure, no one else around.
    OR
    Big flash, off roof or good reflector.

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

for cars sometimes a slave flash at a low angle helps a lot with details like wheels, bumperbar etc.

4. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Or a Bogen 3021 BPRO tripod that allows for low angle shots :bigthumb:
    [​IMG]

5. Derrict

You'll probably want to use a wide angle lense depending on the size of the garage. With a 1.5x crop body, something in the range of 12-24mm will suffice. To get the best shots, you'll need a tripod. You can use a flash but it won't work as well on cars due to the reflection off the paint and glass, even if you bounce it.

Here are two shots, the first one with a tripod, the second with the flash.
    #1 tripod
    [​IMG]

#2 flash
    [​IMG]

It's easy to see the image quality between the two since the lighting is more even in pic#1.

Also, you'll probably want to shoot around f/4.0 or f/5.6. You can shoot at lower aperatures but there are some shots that you want more of the vehicles in focus.

6. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

whatd they do to the nsx??? :wtc: so ugly now.

i personally try to never use flash - i dont like its results... then again the only flash i have is the one on my camera so i dont have too much control over it besides brightness

7. Derrict

That's the Comptech JGTC race version.

8. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

ya i knew it was a race edition, but i just dont like that front end on it. looks like a miata to me

9. Derrict

Pop up head lights = more drag :(

10. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

no its not the lights, its the oval mouth reminds me of the miata the most. (im thinking first gen miata which had pop up lights)

11. Derrict

I drive a Miata :wtc:

[​IMG]

12. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

nothing wrong with that :) ive been wantint to get started in racing for ever and may end up buying an old miata for just that purpose. i think the looks is fine for the miata but not the nsx, especially when the rest of the car (nsx) is more boxy

btw do u go racing in urs? if so howd u get started? any tips:x:

13. Derrict

[​IMG]

I stopped racing a few years ago when I started working at my current job. I just can't wake up at 6 am on Saturdays and stand out in the hot sun for 8-9 hours week in and week out.

I started my just showing up to a local SCCA event (you can google for the local chapter) and watched one race, then showed up at the next race and tried it out. I went to a driving school to learn the basics. My first year I got 3rd in the state championship and 3rd place for the season. I could've done better running Hoosier slicks but I ran Yokohoma A032Rs since they were a little harder and would last a full season (the Hoosiers would last half a season).

14. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

thanks for the info. ive been thinking about going to an SCCA school (they built their own track in bakersfield CA) where u drive ur own car and its only like $250 for the day if i remember. when u went to the second race to try it out was that the school or did u use ure own car.

the big thing holding me back is money and lack of morale support from parents - theyre dead set against it.

15. Derrict

I used my own car at the driving school, which is better since you learn how to drive at the limit in your own vehicle, but if anything happens, it's your car lol.

You can probably talk your parents into letting you get the driving courses. It'll definately make you a better driver, on and off the street. Some parents will worry at first but at least they know you're driving in a controlled environment and not on the streets illegally.

16. I consider myself an above average driver also. Well considering I have to drive on the interstate for an 2 hours daily to go to and from work I've run into many different scenarios. I used to drive my 95 GSX eclipse to work alot but it got way too much attention from the police and I got a few tickets and eventually as with all DSM's the engine died. So then I got my Lexus gs300 which I had for a long time, that thing was my baby. definately not as fast as the eclipse but it was very comfy. But all the driving eventually got the best of it, and 200k miles later it was time for a new engine, and insted of forking out the $$ to fix the car I just sold it and now I just have my F150 that I've had since 1998. I've been driving that truck for soo long that I know exactly how to drive it and I know it's limits and I push the limits daily going to and from work every day. It just turned 70k miles the other day.. But I drive that big tank like a race car and I'm not even lying. On I95 I'm the guy you see flying by going 90mph and there's a trail of cars following me because they're too scared to get tickets :)

17. Blair

Blair New Member

holy thread hijack batman

18. Derrict

You let your own thread die.

19. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

hero.. become a statistic already. :fawk:

Push your car, but do it on the track or at least at quieter times. Learn how to conform to peak hour traffic, it makes it easier for everyone.

20. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

ya sorry about that...

anyways back to the current topic. at least a few years ago when i really pushed going to racing school my parents were even against that. thought id get too cocky on the roads:mb: anyways this summer im really going to make a serious push for it and thanks for all ur input:wavey:

21. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

I'd say get a 50mm f/1.8. they are only 100 dollars and i'm guessing the lighting is going to be shit. the kit lens won't be much help in those types of situations. the f/1.8 will help out ALOT, instead of using iso 1600 with a slow ass shutter speed and having the only images that turn out be grainy and less than desirable.

22. Derrict

50mm won't be wide enough.