A&P Some shots from the 24 Hours of Daytona

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by vwpilot, Jan 31, 2007.

1. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Here are a few shots from last weekend at the Rolex 24. Let me know what you think and if you are interested in the full galleries you can see them here. http://www.speedarena.com/gallery/gallery2.php?mode=album&album=/Sportscar/Grand%20Am/2007/01%20Rolex%2024

The ferris wheel is one of the only things that this track has that can give a nice background. Most of the track is just boring and filled with RVs, trucks, corner workers and other, not so good looking backgrounds.

However, due to this the ferris wheel is highly overdone and you can come back with the same photos every year that look just like the previous year. So I tried a little different take on the ferris wheel by using a 500mm and shooting from far across the track, panning as they went right in front of the wheel. I like what I came away with for something different.

Something as it was just starting to get dark, the ferris wheel isnt so bright, but I like the shot anyway.

[​IMG]

Couple from a little later as it got darker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for a few in the horizontal aspect ratio.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for a couple more "played out" ferris wheel shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for some other shots, here you have the GXPR comeing through the infield with a couple other cars visible on the banking.

[​IMG]

Line of cars heading out of the west horseshoe.

[​IMG]

Looking across the packed infield at some racing on the high banks.

[​IMG]

And a few very slow shutter shots with the 500mm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a couple pit shots, letting the yellow hoses lead your eye to the action taking place,

[​IMG]

And a wheel exchange caught in time,

[​IMG]

Enjoy.

2. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

Amazing as usual Jimmy

3. di3soft

di3soft Guest

fucken awsome man

4. bntboz

bntboz ACME user text OT Supporter

Nice pics. I love the reflective decals. :bigthumb:

5. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

Awesome - what lens do you shoot with besides the 500mm for these kinds of shot? What kind of range do you usually carry out there?

6. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

am I the only one who finds the motion blur of the ferris wheel at night distracting for the subject of the photos? They are better than what I can shoot I'll admit, but the blur seems to take away from the cars. The later shots look much better top me, and the GXP with the cars banking in the distance is a great shot...

7. i concur, I go to car races to watch cars, not the background. And it seems more attention was put into getting the ferriswheel.
    Who uses portrait orientation to photograph a car race! :noes: But yeah the pics are nice. And yea I don't have a 500mm so I can't get the same shots :jerkit:

8. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I use three lenses, all Canon, the 24-70 f/2.8, the 70-200 f/2.8 IS and the 500 f/4 IS.

Sometimes going to something a bit wider would be nice, but those three will cover virtually 100% of what I need/want to shoot.

9. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Well, if you find it distracting, thats fine, I asked for comments, however, I think you both miss the point a bit as well. I can go out and simply take photos of the cars, nice and tight and show you the cars on "any track USA," and I do because that pleases sponsors and car owners at times. However, I aim for more than that out of my photography. The background is an INTEGRAl part of an event, the track that they are racing at is important in telling the story of the event. I want to tell the story of an event not just take photos of cars I can take at any event all year long.

This race is a 24 hour race, it goes into and through the night and darkness, so showing that and showing what the place is like at night is part of telling the story. Its also a very party like atmosphere, where they have a midway and carnival rides set up and people party all night along with the race.

For that reason, shots that can portray some of that atmosphere is an important part of the equation, the key is how are you going to show that?

I personally find it much more satisfying to be able to shoot loose and give the viewer a perspective on all that is around the race. I can hand my 500 to almost anyone and they can take a nice close shot of a car, thats not difficult and doesnt take much vision. But what is someone going to do when asked to tell a story of the entire event? What vision will they have and how will they do it? When I feel like I accomplish that, I'm much more pleased with my work than simply taking another tight shot.

As to the vertical, the people that take shots of race cars vertically are the ones that rise above all the others. With a little vision, you can do a lot of nice shots of racing in the vertical orientation. Some of my favorite shots are verticals. If you cant visualize that...keep working on it.

If you never think outside the norm and try something new, then you will never become a top shooter. There isnt any top shooter in any category out there that takes the same shots as everyone else, what seperates shooters is their ability to be different...but do it well. If you are caught in the idea that all racing shots are shot in landscape with a tight shot of the car, you'll never be anything more than average.

What about a shot like this? Does that not justify a vertical orientation?

[​IMG]

Or this one?

[​IMG]

or this?

[​IMG]

just to grab a few.

Shooting sports or racing isnt about just going out and grabbing shots, its about thinking about things and stirring feelings in the viewer. If my shots dont do that for you, thats fine, not everyone will like them all, but its my job to try. I'm certainly not offended if they dont work for you, but I think when you look beyond the idea of a boring photo of just a car, you'll start to see what I am aiming at.

10. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

great job vwpilot. I'm getting huge into motorsport photography and can't wait til the season starts again so i can go shoot events. granted i'm just trying to get into doing it but i have taken photography in school and have been told i've got a natural eye when it comes down to ability.

I don't know why people are trying to tell you not to use "portrait" style when shooting racing. if you didn't make the shots interesting it would just be 20 pictures of cars flying by: boring. Great job on those shots, post up more if you can. I especially like the first one, and the one with the yellow fuel hoses. I said to myself "wow, the way that guides my eye through the photo is great" and then thats what you put under the shot :h5:

its amazing how much taking an art history class, and the way painters used to format an image are used in modern photography!

good luck, and keep on Dubbin'!

11. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Great photos vw, i always like your shots.

absolutely agree.

or talent. :hay:

12. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

13. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And as always, nice shots vwpilot.

This one is :cool:

[​IMG]

14. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

:rofl::rofl:

Thanks for the kind words guys.

15. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

More proof that you are an absolute idiot.

16. :ugh: Insted of coming in this thread for the sole purpose of talking shit and calling me names maybe you should first be helpful to the A&P forum and try to give alittle constructive criticism and share your opinions first, then attempt to be funny.... Interesting concept :run:

I got banned for trolling, take another look at your post and maybe re-evaluate your thoughts before you hit the submit button next time...

17. Yes this shot is nice along with the couple other portrait oriented shots posted to demonstrate some fine examples of vertical racing shots.

But this thread is about 24 Hours of Daytona, so you don't agree that in the portrait racing shots it seems he is more focused on the ferriswheel? If you don't agree that's fine it's totally you're opinion just as I've already posted mine. Should OT be afraid to share their humble opinions for fear that you will come make a mockery of individual opinions? :dunno:

19. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

Awesome work. :bigthumb:

20. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I'll try this one more time as I am not trying to start an argument either, I'm trying to help you understand a concept of this kind of photography that you dont seem to grasp at this point in time.

I said over and over, that I'm not upset with your comments, they are your opinion and thats fine. Nor am I trying to change your mind, however, i am trying to explain my thinking in hopes that you might take something away from this that you didnt have before.

You're right, I WAS trying to emphasize the ferris wheel. I WAS putting an effort into showing that. However, the photo isnt solely about the wheel or it would be in focus and would be the main subject. The car remains the subject and is complemented by the wheel and the background to give the viewer a sense of the feeling from the event. If you dont see that, fine, it doesnt work for you, that doesnt mean its not going to work for others.

You're also right that its not likely that shot will be in an advertisement for one of the sponsors on the car. But that doesnt mean its not a desireable image to the team or someone else. Does every shot I take at an event have to be capable of being in an advertisement for a sponsor? Do you ever take any photos for yourself or to tell a story? What if this was for an editorial shoot about the race and the event? Would you want photos that are so tight that they could be from anywhere, or would some background in the photo to show a feeling for the event be a good thing? Were you aware that there is a carnival on the infield at Daytona during the 24, would you have known that if there were no photos showing it?

These are things to think about. What is the goal of the photography?

And BTW, I've had several teams since the race ask if I got their car in front of the wheel like that.

Actually your exact words were, " Who uses portrait orientation to photograph a car race!" If that doesnt imply that no one in their right mind would shoot a car race in portrait orientation and that I'm an ass for trying it, I dont know what does.

And again, if you had used any reading comprehension in my post you would see that I didnt say it was the "key to being better than everyone else," but that thinking differently and trying other things is the key to becoming a better photographer. If I sat back and didnt try something different, I come away with the same old shit that everyone else does and where does that get me but right in the middle of average, just like everyone else.

You never said the portrait shots of this event werent as good as the others, you implied that shooting ANY race in portrait was ridiculous and doesnt work. If that isnt what you meant, then you need to learn to say what you mean. I also never bashed your opinion, if you read again, you'll see I said I was ok with it and thats all it is, your opinion.

So I'll say it again and as nice as I can, its ok if you dont like the shots. Its ok if you dont see the point. It doesnt upset me or hurt my feelings, after all, your name isnt on my paycheck. However, I do hope that you can at least comprehend what I was trying to do and what I am saying, otherwise you have a long tough road ahead of you in your photography.

21. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

I think it's ok to think outside the box. Capture the environment, not just a single subject. Like he said, tight crops are nice, but variety is the spice of life.

Kthxbye.

22. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

Was there fill-flash used on that last one, with the pits?

23. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

The last one yes, the first pit shot, no.

24. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Quick, someone post Pete's car "photography" for comparison.

Awesome work as always, Jimmy.