GUN Some shooting questions for you guys in regards to eye dominance...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by minus, Apr 30, 2007.

1. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

I am cross dominant yes I know that throws a wrench in the whole thing. I can't focus with my right eye only things are blurry. My left eye allows perfect focus.

My right hand is much stronger than my left so I shoot pistols right handed. When I shoot skeet/trap I know I should be shooting with both eyes open but should I shoot from the left or the right?

With scoped rifles I can shoot righty but with irons it is impossible for me to get a sight picture. They just wont line up.

Any ideas?

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

poke out your left eye :dunno:

3. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Either learn to live with it, or start shooting a rifle lefty. I'm the same way, Rt handed, and left eye dominant. I can shoot handguns just fine, but rifles just take me a tiny bit longer as I have to consciously focus my right eye.

4. minus

I'm thinking just start rifle lefty.

Any idea on trap.

5. Werm

Werm Guest

Can't you get corrective lenses?

6. minus

:fawk: I read fine and normal vision is fine its only when i close my left eye.

7. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

im in the same boat as you... it can get rather frustrating!

but i shoot skeet righty, cause i am borderline (read fully :o) retarded when shooting left handed lol! i do ok, but i have problems with birds travelling left to right.

8. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I write left handed, am right eye dominant, and throw and catch right handed
    Can also bat either way

wtf. Cant throw and catch with the same hand

9. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

left eye, right hand here. For rifles and pistol I just shoot righty, it isn't that hard :dunno:

trap I seem to be hit or miss though (of course, I have only gone trab shooting once, so that probably affected it as well)

10. whamola

whamola Tonight....you.

I'm left eye dominant, so I shoot everything left-handed. I write and throw with my right hand, though.

11. Pump Scout

Pump Scout New Member

I think this was addressed in "Fire Birds", wasn't it? Something about a periscope, panties on the head, duct tape, and a HMMWV...

Training, training, training.

12. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

I am left handed and my left eye is my dominant eye. I guess it would suck to use my right eye or be right handed. :(

13. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

qft

14. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

I'm right handed left eye dominant. I shoot better weaver because it's easier to line up my left eye and keep both open than it is if I shoot isosceles. Rifle was just a matter of practice.

15. minus

So you shoot rifle lefty then?

16. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

Nope, I shoot rifle right handed.

17. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I am right eye dom and did shoot handgun lefty. I have since switched to right...and it hasn't been an easy journey.

18. realest00

realest00 New Member

I am cross dominant - can't do shit with my left hand, but heavily left eye dominant. I don't think I would even be able to shoot my rifle (right handed) if it wasn't for Eotech. For pistols I shoot isosceles, but with a head tilt.

19. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I'm right-handed, left eye dominant and sight mith my right eye. I do allright, but I'm not going to be putting shots into a pie plate at 50 yards either. I'm sure there are other, much more important factors contributing to my unspectacular marksmanship.

Never tried to shoot left-handed with the right hand for support. I'll have to try that out next time just to mix things up.

I shoot just a bit crappier with left hand only vs right hand only - and I'm quite certain that has to do with a lack of coordination in my left arm/hand.

20. minus

Shot trap lefty did much better than righty. Confimed my suspicions.

21. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

I'm the same way, left eye dominate but right handed. Only other thing I'm lefty with is hockey.

22. Stockman

Stockman New Member

If you know which is you’re dominate eye, then you know which way you should be shooting trap/skeet/sporting clays etc... I am left handed and shoot pistol with either hand, rifle/shotgun I use the right mount method. You will never be a good shot when you are looking at the side of the barrel. You can use the frosted tape method mentioned, however it's a cheat, and picking up a clay target/bird flying out of the woods at 50MPH + is much harder using your weak eye. You can practice and become proficient with your week hand/arm, it just takes time and effort. Sporting Clays is harder… We shoot in the woods where low light conditions on an overcast day are the norm, then for the second fifty targets you move to a more open area and shoot. On this course they throw three different clay targets a flat rabbit (battue 108mm) target the standard clay target (108mm) and a mini (60mm) that’s all black! It’s hard to pick those up with good eyes. I have tried shooting left handed, thought I might have better movement that way.. It didn’t work out, no problem moving the gun, just shooting later and missing more!

23. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I'm the same as the OP - shoot pistol right but rifle lefty - can't do rifles with scope or irons with out switching :o

24. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I'm cross-dominant as well.

Left-eye dominant. Left-handed writing. Right-handed sports. Left-handed eating. Right-handed masturbation. Left-handed ass-wiping.

I shoot pistols equally from either side, because I'm always able to use my left eye. When I shoot rifles from the left side, I'm sloppy because of the lack of practice and muscular control. I carry lefty, but at classes, I put the short gun on the right side for simplicity in transitions and such. It's all kinds of fucked up. Don't do that.

My advice is to either shoot everything from the right side or the left. Your body and your eyes will adapt to it eventually. You will shoot better sooner, and you will have less issues later on.

25. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

:rofl: that was hysterical. The Apache nightvision viewfinder was on the right side of the helmet only, and he was left eye dominant I believe. So they made him drive a hmmwv around the base with his right eye only.