Some Room Set-up Questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dr. Josh, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh it's ok - i'm a doctor OT Supporter

I was over my friend's house yesterday..and he has this kickass sound system in his room. I didn't ask him about it, and now I'm looking to get a nice sound system for my room. I don't even know where to start. Any advice for an audio newbie here would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT- I didn't really make this clear, but I guess I'm looking for the entire system. Speakers, sub (if needed), everything like that. Everything needed for it to work (cables etc).

Here's what I'm looking for (I guess):

1) Something that's able to play CDs (both real CDs and burned cds) and the radio (not necessary, just a bonus if it can)

2) Something that has some power to it. I mean I want to be able to feel it. Now I don't mean loud annoying bass, I mean bass that gives the music some
    "power". Know what I mean?

3) Price is kind of an issue but not really. Whatever you think will fit my list of wants.

That's about it. Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2003
  2. Dr. Josh

3. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

are you going to be watching movies at all? your best bet i'd say is a home-threate in a box if you are, and care about shit like Dolby digital and whatnot...

if not just get an amp/receiver, and hookup some speakers with a CDlpayer, and a radio componant...your good to go, I had that setup for a whil ebefore I got my kenwood system

4. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Also the size of the room might be worth knowing if your on a budget. I'm no guru like 90% of the others in this forum, but the size and price of the speaker has some bearing on the size of the room your putting them into.

If your going to watch dvd's w/ a tv then a 5.1 surround sound system is what I would recommend spending your money on but on the other hand if the system is purely for cd's then two quality speakers and a sub would be a wiser expenditure of your money.

If you go surround sound then you will (want) need a reciever that has dolby digital/ dolby prologic capabilities but if it's just for mp3's then a pricy reciever is not needed and spending the money on the speakers would be better spent.

Basic mp3 systems require a cd player. Then the speakers will need power so you need an amp to run those. Most of the time on small home systems the amp used is internal to some type of reciever, but you can also use an stand alone amp and some speakers come with thier own amp built into the sub box. So once you have wittled down how you plan on powering

I've probobly confused you more than anything but just trying to help.

5. Dr. Josh

Thanks for the help guys.

No I'm not gonna be watching DVDs/Videos, and I've narrowed it down to just want to be able to play CDs, and my room is a normal size, not big by any means.

Mostly I just want a system that can play CDs and give them some "oomph" if you know what I mean. I want to be able to impress my friends when they come over. I like bass in my songs, but not overkill.

If you guys have any suggestions as to which ones I should get, just let me know. Thanks again.

6. 04

04 Guest

Well, if you want to be able to "feel" it literally, you are going to need some pretty powerfull equipment.

http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl?eqint_KeyIDdata=11786&UID=2003110813562490 2 of those would be pretty "plug and play" you would need some sort of preamplifier between them and the source though. Id probably spend 100-150 and get a dvd player that can also playback mp3s.

If you don't really need it THAT loud, Id suggest getting a normal stereo receiver and a nice pair of floorstanding speakers then. What exactly is your budget, you said price is kind of an issue but not really? Does that mean $2000 is about what you want to spend?

7. Dr. Josh

I want to be able to feel it but it doesn't have to be all out crazy. I just want to be able to get some "oomp" behind it and have it be able to impress my friedns and family.

My budget..hm..I'd say prolly up to $600-$700. But I don't want/need all the fancy stuff. No DVDs or anything, just want it to be able to play CDs and give it a nice quality sound with some feel to it.

I hope you get what I'm asking for. Sorry I'm not making it too clear, I can't really explain it.

Thanks again.

8. 04

04 Guest

Well, I'd say maybe spend around 250 or so on a reciever, a Harman Kardon HK3375, Onkyo TX8211, or Denon DRA-295 would work well.

As far as speakers go, I'd spend the remaining 400 or so on them. If you want it pretty loud, you might want to look into Klipsch, as their speakers are quite efficient and can get pretty loud. But some people don't like the way they sound. I suggest going to a few local audio places and listen to what they have for sale in the 400-500 dollar range.

9. waspride

waspride Can't this wait till I'm old, can I live while I'm

I agree 100%. spend more on the speakers, and definately look at Klipsch, I have a pair of rf-3's, they are great and have good bass because their woofers are aluminum, which is unique for speakers in their price range.....

10. 04

04 Guest

Klipsch makes good speakers, but the fact they have good bass is not necesarrily due to the fact that the cone is made of aluminum :)