Some questions...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jimmy Pop Cornholio, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Jimmy Pop Cornholio

Jimmy Pop Cornholio forsakenisanidiot.info

I have a MacBook and it has a 111gb hard drive and it says I have used 63gig but I don't really have anything on this laptop. IS there a way to view the highest volume files? How can I delete other things? Is there a add/remove programs like there is in Windows? Are there any disk cleanup utilities I can run? Any info would help, thanks!

2. Jimmy Pop Cornholio

Jimmy Pop Cornholio forsakenisanidiot.info

So can no one answer? I went through and deleted programs I don't use and transfered all my torrents to my removable drive and I am still using 60gigs. I don't really have any programs installed? Any way for me to find what is using 60gigs? Thanks///

3. skolen

skolen Guest

Things like iLife take up a ton of room, especially Garageband (iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, Garageband)

You also have the option of removing language packs and printer drivers you don't need. There are programs mentioned that will do this if you search for something like "free up HD space".

All in all, if you remove all those things you stand to save a good 10Gb.

4. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

couple of things
    like mentioned above, getting rid of the garageband loops, imovie/idvd templates will get rid of a shit ton of space (probably 2-6 gigs, both are located in your library)

use monolingual to get rid of languages you don't use, can save anywhre from 800megs - 2 gigs. but becareful only to take out the language packs, you can seriously screw up your system if you go removal happy.

also getting rid of your printer drivers can save you probably another gig or so (also located in your library, just drag whatever is in the printer folder to the trash).

if you want to visually see what's taking up space on your drive, try this program:
    Disk Inventory X (http://www.derlien.com/)
    it'll give you a graphical representation of what's on your drive
    there is a video on that page to see how it works

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007