A&P Some Questions...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by chris0626, Aug 12, 2006.

1. chris0626

chris0626 New Member

I've been looking to jump on the DSLR bandwagon for a while now (when funds permit). I've noticed that most of you here seem to be Canon or Nikon fans.

What about the Olympus E500 (I don't like the 330 at all, doesn't feel right) or even the new Sony Alpha?

The review on the E500 on dpreview was very good and it seemed to have (at least to me) nicer color rendition when compared the Canon or Nikon. I realize that the 4/3 lens system doesn't have as many lenses available, but, outside of a pro, how many actual lenses does one really need?

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Chris

2. No Canon no care

:io:

3. chris0626

chris0626 New Member

Well THAT was certainly helpful, thank you.

4. Anytime, I'm usually here in the mornings before 8 and in the evenings after work. :wavey:

5. chris0626

chris0626 New Member

Excellent! Great sense of humor!

So what makes your darn Canon so freakin great?! (Honestly, I do want to know)

6. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

just make sure that you won't want more lenses in the future. Also, with canon or nikon, you can transfer most lenses to the high end bodies if you end up in that direction. I am not sure what olympus has that compares with the 5d or 1d. Besides that, I really think that whatever camera you go with, you will be fine.

7. chris0626

chris0626 New Member

Thank you. There are MORE than enough 4/3 System lenses for me (and probably most folks). Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something (in the other camera's).

8. SpiderOnTheFloor

I personally would rather not have a 2x crop factor, but if you match the lenses with what you shoot, then you will be fine. The viewfinder is the smallest of all of the DSLRs so you may want to consider that as well

9. When I was asking OT for advice when I was planning on getting a camera I was really interested in the Sony DSC-F828, and contrary to OT's advice I went out and bought it. Shortly after I outgrew it and there were no options to upgrade or change lenses and such. So I stuck my tail between my legs, admitted my ignorance, and then got my Canon 30d. A few thousand dollars later I'm still happy with and still trying to master my new camera.

Another reason canon and nikon is great is that EVERYONE has them. You may say, "big deal, why is this soo great?". For one, you have a large source of information, knoledge and experience with different equipment that you might be interested in. And of corse my favorite, insted of just going out and buying a lens or renting a lens you can always ask a friend to borrow a lens.

:dunno:

Plus what Willg133 said.

10. chris0626

chris0626 New Member

All points quite valid, for sure.

I looked at the 828 as well, but decided to wait (I knew I wanted changeable lenses). A 30D is quite out of the range for now though.

Most of what I want to shoot are product images (individual and group) and gardens (we have quite a spectacular garden) and perhaps a car or 2 when the occassion arises.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does a 2x crop factor have to do with it? (I'm not being a wise-ass, I honestly don't know)

I really DO appreciate the responses everyone. Thank you.

11. SpiderOnTheFloor

Lens field of view was one reason that was directing me toward the ff cameras (no crop factor). Using a 70-200 on a ff body was a lot nicer for me shooting portraits than on a 1.6x body. I notice that olympus has some odd range zooms that would probably work well on the 2x. Its really personal preference. The 2x crop factor most likely has a lot to do with the small, dim viewfinder too.

12. chris0626

chris0626 New Member

Ok, gotcha

13. Keesh

Keesh New Member

If you're on a budget you can go the "used" route. I just picked up a slightly used 20D body for under $800 from www.fredmiranda.com