some questions on herpes..

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by crazy15, Apr 19, 2006.

1. crazy15

crazy15 New Member

ok ive done some searches and googled and got some info. I don't have it, but i want to know risks with this, and also i know a girl who MIGHT have it, and i have kissed her, so i want to know if i should be worried.

Ok so this girl thinks her mom might have herpes due to her have a sore around her mouth every once in a while, and she thinks it might have passed over to her, she isn't sure.

But yeah, i kind of made out with her... There were no sores around her mouth and she said she has never gotten a sore. Also guys before her who have kissed and such have not broken out in sores or anything, so yeah. Is it possible to catch it if no sores are present and you kiss and such?

also how fast can it take for sores to appear? Could they appear the next day?

and are there any saliva or blood tests to check to see if you have herpes?

yeah thanks :x hah

2. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

3. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

if you get a cold sore on your mouth you have one form of herpes or another
    . The only thing i would worry about is if she has a cold sore and gives you head.

4. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

It's NOT the only thing he should worry about, although that is a major one.
    I have gotten cold sores since I was 2 years old (thanks to my cousin :rolleyes: ).
    You can pass them on to others while you have the sore and as soon as you start to 'feel' it coming you are already contagious. I am VERY careful with my husband and daughter. We don't share cups, kiss (even on the cheek, the lips aren't the only place you can get cold sores according to my doctor) or anything when I have a cold sore.

Trust me, they are NOT something you want to get. They NEVER go away.

5. crazy15

crazy15 New Member

so if she had no cold sores on her mouth or in, or around. There isnt too much to worry about?

6. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

A coild sore on your mouth is NOT a big deal. SHit 95% of the population of the us has that shit. I understand what you mean but a cold sore is not something to worry about.

7. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

no dood quit worrying go jack off or something

8. crazy15

crazy15 New Member

hah, alright guys. thanks for the help

9. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Have you ever had one?
    You may not think it's a big deal, but it is very uncomfortable at best (not to mention disgusting looking). It can be easily prevented, so why not take those precations with my family?

10. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

Ya, it's not a huge deal, but you don't want to be reckless and end up giving it to people, that's just stupid.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Don't worry, sex feels better with herpes anyway.

12. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

cold sores are very common. most of the adult population has had exposure to the virus that causes it. So while you want to take steps to avoid it, it's not the end of the world if you do get it. There are creams to apply that suppress the outbreaks.

Genital herpes is a different strain and the symptoms are significantly more aggressive. If I knew a girl had HSV-2 I'd give her a wide berth :)

13. crazy15

crazy15 New Member

so it would not matter if she gave me head with a cold sore? since they are different strains?

14. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

DO NOT DO THAT!!!
    They are different strains, but it IS possible for you to get them on other places of your body besides your lips!
    Here's one of the many sites that say that (I'm sure you can find a more medical one but I don't feel like searching too hard right now :o )
    http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/0938.html

Dear Alice,

What's the difference between a canker sore and a cold sore? In your response to Oral sex with canker sores, you replied that it was safe and could not cause an infection of the genital region. My girlfriend had what we thought was a canker sore, and I happened to become infected with what we have assumed to this point is herpes. Would a cold sore cause this or did we just win the lottery with a canker sore?
    Sincerely,
    ignorant

Dear ignorant,

First, if you have not already done so, see a health care provider as soon as possible, as diagnosis of genital herpes is easier when clinical symptoms (lesions) are present. This is important because you need to be certain about your genital herpes status so that you can receive appropriate education and treatment, and also get referrals to other health professionals if needed. In addition, if you are diagnosed with genital herpes or another sexually transmitted infection (STI), and if you and your girlfriend have had any unprotected sexual activity involving skin-to-skin contact and/or an exchange of bodily fluids since having had oral sex, she needs to visit a health care provider for an examination, as well.
    In a nutshell, canker sores are painful ulcers, or open sores, on the inner membranes of the mouth and cheek that can resemble pimples on the tongue. Canker sores are not considered to be contagious and are of uncertain origin.
    Cold sores, on the other hand, are small red blisters that generally affect the mouth and facial areas, but usually appear on the lip and outer edge of the mouth. In contrast to canker sores, cold sores are extremely contagious and are most often caused by the Herpes Simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1). More importantly, when oral herpes lesions and/or its contents come into direct contact with the genital area through oral-genital sex, genital herpes most likely will develop.
    Although it is more likely that the sores that develop in your mouth will be canker sores, unless you are absolutely certain, you may not be able to tell the difference between a canker sore and a cold sore by sight. In that case, treat your sore as though it were a cold sore — that it is infected with herpes and contagious. It is recommended that the partner with the cold sore(s) abstain from having oral-genital sex with an uninfected partner until the sores have completely healed. However, refraining may not always be possible, so you and your partner need to use safer sex methods every time you have oral-genital sex (i.e., use an unlubed latex condom, dam, or other barrier that completely covers the areas of the cold sores to help prevent the transmission of the herpes virus). For more information about the distinction between cold sores and canker sores, or if you do have genital herpes and are concerned about how it may affect your sex life, you can read the Related Q&As listed below for this and more information about herpes, including treatments. If you have genital herpes, you and your partner can still have and enjoy sexual activity as long as both of you have safer sex during BOTH the asymptomatic and symptomatic periods of genital herpes. Alice

15. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

No, I would not let a girl give me head if she had a cold sore. Wouldn't kiss her either. It's possible to catch them in both places, and best avoided even though HSV-1 is not as serious.