Some Questions (New Install)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 3x, Aug 6, 2005.

1. 3x

3x New Member

Anyway...I went to Best Buy today to ask the "Geek Squad" some questions and they just succeeded in confusing me. I told them I was building a system from scratch and then they then rambled on about flashing the BIOS. The hell...why would you have to flash the BIOS? Then I asked them about the HD I was getting...it's an ATA150 but comes default as ATA133. I know about the program to fix that, but was wondering if that should be done before installing an OS or it wouldn't matter. They...didn't know. Then I asked them about installing the actual HD, and how it was done. My idea is that you just plug everything up with the OS disc inside of the drive and then install it, then the drivers for everything, and everything should be fine. Another question is, I'll be using my old 5200 RPM 20 gig as a slave because all my old data is on it, and I don't even know the correct jumper configuration for it because it's not on the back. Now, there might be something wrong with the hard drive, is it safe to use it as a slave? I know this post is incredibly confusing and out of order, but if anybody could help me, I'd really appreciate it.

2. 3x

3x New Member

Also, how do you guys feel about running an exhaust fan on the center of the side of the case? I've seen a couple of people doing this. Basically, they blow out. I'll be using an 80mm, I have two 120mm's in the rear, two fans on my PSU, and I may get another 80mm for the front somewhere.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Mistake #1: Believing anything the Geek Squad, or anyone else at Best Buy, tells you.

There should be no need to flash the BIOS on a brand new board unless you're getting old stock or a crappy board with issues.

I've been out of the system building loop for a while, but I haven't heard of ATA150. There's ATA133 (parallel ATA aka IDE) that I thought was the last of the parallel interfaces. Then there's ATA150 (SATA) that's a fairly new interface. They're not interchangable. The connectors are completely different and one won't work in place of the other without an adapter. I hope you're not planning on using an adapter.

Loading an OS on a brand new system is as follows: Install all hardware. Turn system on and insert OS CD. The system should boot from the CD and go right into setup. If not, check the boot order in the BIOS to make sure the CD is on the list. Setup will let your partition and format your hard drive as you like.

If you hook the old drive up all by itself on an IDE channel, it shouldn't matter what jumper settings you use. If it doesn't work, go to the manufacturer's web site and look up the jumper settings and set it to master. Many drives have CS, SL, MA (or MS) printed on the board right next to the jumpers. If the drive doesn't work, you won't harm the new system unless its got a major short or something weird like that. Aside from that, the worst that will happen is that your computer turns into a 'tard trying to deal with an unreadable disk.

I'm not a fan of having fans on the side of the case. I like cool air coming in the front over the disks, and hot air going out back. One interesting idea I heard about is to make sure you have more fans blowing in than out. That will pressurize the case and keep dust and crap from getting sucked in from every nook and cranny of the case. You can then filter the intake fans to keep things clean. A used fabric softener sheet or panty hose will work.

4. 3x

3x New Member

Yeah I used a cheesecloth to filter my fan because it's all I had. So the one question I have is, if I just connect the old HD to an IDE channel, how does the comp know which one is slave and which one is master? Should I go into the BIOS and change the boot sequence? I'm going to use your idea and have a fan up front blowing on the HD's to keep them cool. Thanks for the response man.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Well assuming your boot drive is either SATA or primary master IDE, the system should boot from that by default. If not go into the BIOS boot order and make sure the right hard disk is selected. If you put the old drive on the secondary IDE channel, even if its bootable and set to master, the system probably won't want to boot off it unless it can't find anything better.

6. 3x

3x New Member

I made a mistake earlier. The HDD I'm getting is shipped at ATA100, but needs a program from Samsung to change it to ATA133. I set that to master, and took the jumper off my secondary drive completely. Another question is, this is the first time I've dealed with computer hardware for six years. I have two IDE cables coming out of my motherboard. One has two plugs on it, the other has one. The cable with only one plug comes from the bottom of the motherboard, and the one with two plugs is coming out from where it usually does. Any idea on what it is?

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I'm not sure what you mean by "bottom of the motherboard". I can't recall ever seeing anything on the bottom (back) of a motherboard. Or is it connected to the edge of the board, like its been rotated over 90 degrees? Is the spot were that cable with one plug connects to the board labelled? Does the motherboard manual or online PDF explain? Assuming it is just another IDE interface in a weird spot, you can always just get a new cable that supports two devices if needed.