MIL Some questions about enlisting.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by crazynova, Sep 17, 2007.

1. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

I have determined that I am definately going to see some recruiters for the Navy and Air Force this week, and try to get the ball rolling ASAP. My question is, do I need to set up an appointment, or can I just walk in? It may sound strange, but I think for once, I am excited about the future. I dont think I will have any problems when it comes time for the ASVAB, but am really eyeing a Security Forces job in the Air Force. I am also thinking of some sort of air crew job, but not sure what. What are some jobs to look at? I am in good shape, and am extremely intelligetn for an 18 year old male. (I've noticed most other 18 year olds around here are idiots).

I want to try and enlist within a month or so, maybe get out and get a weekend of riding one last time before I hang it up for at least a year.

What are recommendations you guys have to ask the recruiters, and to try and get. Would it be possible for someone with a great moral history (no tickets, never done any drugs, don't drink, or smoke), and high ASVAB scores to enlist directly as an E2 or E3? I know the recruiters can answer this, but Id trust it coming from those who have no enlistment quota to fill for the month.

In all honesty, I dont even know what to ask you guys, so I'll just simply ask for all of the info you guys have from first hand experience, that will help me. I have read the FAQs, and a lot on usmilitary.about.com, but like I said, want info from the source itself - those who are actually serving and have been through this process before, because, as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

2. AltimaNX

AltimaNX New Member

you can walk right in

3. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

are you looking at a career you can retire from? i/e are you going to serve 20+ years in the military? Do you want to be security your whole time? Or are you looking at a 4-year or whatever contract then getting out? If you're planning on getting out, I would highly suggest doing something in the military that is applicable to something you want to do with your life when you are out.

4. shiba

shiba Active Member

how about loadmaster?

5. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Well, the security force idea stems from the fact I want to do 4-6 years, and get out and join Las Vegas Metro as a cop, and make a career out of that, but who knows, maybe I'll join and never want to get out. I have seen my best friend join the Navy as an AS, and I've never seen him happier.

6. usmcdevil

usmcdevil wouldnt you like to know

why those branches? if you want security go Marine Corp. you get more out of it MSG (guarding embassies) or presidential if you really are the shit

7. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Either way, I may end up seeing a recruiter from the Marines as well, see what they have to say. Im going to see a least the Air Force recruiter, and possibly the Navy recruiter tomorrow, provided I have time.

How long does it typically take from the first recruiter visit to have a set boot camp date and be shipped out?

8. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

if you're not retarded, have a good ASVAB, and the grades/courses in High School to back it up you can get into a lot of the "advanced" fields which offer E-3 straight outa Boot camp, and in many cases E-4 upon completion of your A-School. So if you work it right you can be an E-4 and have only served about 6 months depending on the rating you choose. Some of these ratings will however require a longer enlistment. For example if you choose to go Navy and enter the Nuclear pipeline you can get E-3 at graduation, E-4 when you finish A-school. However in order to get the E-4 you have to sign a page 13 that says you'll do an extra year, and then for each month of NNPS you have to do 2 months active (NNPS is 6 months:o ). So the Nuke field ropes you in for a 6 year enlistment. You'll be eligible to take the E-5 exam pretty fast though, and re-enlist bonuses are pretty decent for Nukes. A lot of people STAR for E-5 too:o.

<---ex Nuke MM

9. someonenew

depending on your situation, and all your records it could be as simple as a few days or a few months. If you choose the right field and are willing to wait a while for it you can often choose exactly when you ship out if it's far enough off.

10. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

what do you think is going to give you more experience and respect to be a police officer.... air force or marines?

11. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

what you SHOULD do, is stand outside the recuiting office and wait for someone whos already been recruited to go inside, catch him before he does, tell him youll sign him as a reference if he pays you 50$
    :dunno:

12. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

whichever one he gets an MP job in :dunno:

13. armygrognard

armygrognard New Member

Walk in. They don't have time? Walk out and go to a different one! They need you more than you need them!

14. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

:hsugh:

15. cossack

cossack Resident thread killer

us army infantry , or marine infantry, if your squared away you will get picked up for a PSD spot and get a decent security clearance. and getting a job at a police force will be cake.

16. usmcdevil

usmcdevil wouldnt you like to know

Marines you get way more street level training i mean hell i learned the bsaics of clearing a house, going past windows, how to deal with terrorists. That was only in MCt (Marine Combat Training) id say go Marines if you want to get out and be a police officer. i was reading Marine corp times i saw numerous ads for being a police officer eg. NY state trooper starts at 55k i believe they had Las Vegas, Pheonix etc etc

17. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

well? you think blasting shit or driving around in convoys in the marine corps would qualify him more as a police officer than being an MP in the air force?

18. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

You will fit right in with Security Forces.

19. b16

b16 New Member

biggest thing to keep in mind. i never spoke to another branch aside from the AF but what the AF is offering me(i leave for basic Oct 9th) sounds very nice

20. shiba

shiba Active Member

any type of infantry training is helpful with being a police officer but theres no real difference when it comes to getting a job with the police force. Military experience will only get you some waivers for things like the college requirement and nothing more. They would much rather yuo start with a clean plate because even though they have similar tactics as the military, they have variations and procedures they need you to follow.

Also the OP was interested about a security position in the military not in the civilian world.

You should ask the recruiter if it would be possible to give you a day or two to think over the jobs offered to you after you take the ASVAB. I say this because sometimes they would make recruits take the ASVAB, and talk immediately to the career counselor after they get their results. Many a times the recruits are so tired from taking the test and filling out the ton of paperwork required that they pick whatever sounds good to them. Make sure you get all the benefits that are applicable to you. Yes you can enlist directly as a E2 or E3 if you either, pass the PT test, convince a friend to join, or have college credits. I suggest you get as high up in rank as you can before you go to basic because it can help you along in your career.

21. nayt1

nayt1 New Member

:ugh: i'm pretty sure there aren't any other fields that offer e-4 after a school

22. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

It looks like the Special Ops field does, but thats out of the question for me. Not that I don't want to try, just that I wouldn't be allowed or able to try.

23. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

Well I was an MP in the marines, as is my wife currently. So if you have any questions regaurding that, feel free to PM me. I'm also nearly hired on with the PD here and should be going to the academy on December. Your branch will have no impact on a civilian PD when you get out. We all get the same type of training. I would honestly suggest AF. Better standard of living, and you get treated a hell of a lot better.

24. someonenew

I'm pretty sure you're an idiot then

there are multiple fields that offer you E-4 right out of A-School. The Nuclear field happens to be one of them.

25. nayt1

nayt1 New Member

i'm pretty sure you should shut up