Some questions about car audio power (gauge, fuse, etc)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by veonake, Jul 13, 2004.

1. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I lurk this forum sometimes, but from what I've seen the people here have some pretty good knowledge, so I will really appreciate your help here.

I currently have a JL 250/1 amp powering a JL 12w3v2d4 sub in a sealed box. Yesterday I purchased one set of Polk Momo MM6 components and a Polk C400.4 amp. The amp will be running at 75x4 (maybe bridged to 150x2) at 4 ohms for now (factory monsoon amp will power the rears). So this gives a potential total of 550 watts RMS.

Right now, I only have 8 gauge power running to the monoblock, with I believe a 20amp fuse. I have a few questions.

One: Can I run 4 gauge to a distribution block and then run 8-gauge to both amps without a problem? If not, would you recommend just adding a 4 gauge to the new amp and leaving the 8 gauge to the monoblock? Or, should I go 0/1/2 gauge and distribute it to 4 gauge to both amps?

Two: What amperage fuse do I need? I think I need 80 amps.

Three: I don't want to pay for monster cable. What is a decent manufacturer for cheap prices? Scosche, Rockford?

Four: The MM6 supposedly won't fit into my car (MKIV GTi w/Monsoon). Is this true? If so, can I just fabricate a bracket out of wood myself?

Thank you so much for your help and for reading my long post.

:x:

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

4awg to the d-block then 8awg to each amp should be fine since the distance between the d-block and amp is pretty short. Unless you plan on upgrading to a much higher powered setup later, I dont feel spending the extra money on 1/0awg power wire is necessary.

An 80A main fuse is fine if you're using 4awg. In the d-block I would go with a 40-50A fuse for the C400.4 and a 20-30A(whatever size you have now should be fine) for the 250/1.

I like knukonceptz.com wiring kits. Good quality and low prices. Just ordered a bunch of stuff from them today for an install I'm doing.

I dont know what is going on behind the door panel of your car. The fitment issue may be depth related only, or the magnet on the MM6 is too large to fit through the opening. You may be able to make them fit with a spacer, but it may also require cutting. Unless someone else here has experience with your car you may just have to pull off the door panel and see.

3. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

check ebay for some really cheap prices on wires and cables.

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Thanks for the help, I will look into that site. I have taken the door panel off, but I don't have the MM6's yet, so I can't check. Hopefully everything will be fine. I do have to drill out rivets though from my current speakers. That's going to be lame.

5. spydaman54

spydaman54 Guest

just go to best buy and get it in a package with 8 guage wire so all of the fuses work well and will not blow out if you mix an dmatch or overload your amp and blow it up

6. 04

04 Guest

:ugh: What are you talking about?