GUN Some questions about building an AR15

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by rawr, Feb 4, 2009.

1. rawr

rawr Trick Or Treat OT Supporter

okay so i was wanting to buy a stripped lower receiver for the AR and have some questions.

if i wanted to get an upper for either an HK416/grendel 6.5/beowulf .50 i'd want to get a 5.56 lower and not a .223?

are all lower receivers pretty much the same? or is there some brand that i should stay away from?

if or whenever there is a "ban" on rifles and if i have an AR already built, than it would be grandfathered in right? does it have to be completely built or can i buy all parts after the ban since my lower was bought before the ban?

ie. say you can't have a collapsible stock anymore will i still be able to get one if my lower was bought before a ban?

does anyone have any links that i can go to and read more about these:
    HK416/ Grendel 6.5/ Beowulf .50 and any idea how much a complete upper for these would run around?

2. The lowers are all pretty much the same, and any of them will take any of the uppers you listed. The caliber marking of the lower doesn't matter. As for being grandfathered in during a ban, that can't be predicted positively, but the logistics of confiscating them would be crazy, so I'd guess they'd be grandfathered.

If you want a HK416 upper, good luck. They wouldn't sell Jesus a 416 upper. Anyways, you don't need something so overhyped.

If you are interested in a 6.5 Grendel or .50 Beo you'll have to decide what you want to do with the rifle. The .50 Beo is really designed as a short range hunting cartridge. The Grendel is a long range hunting/target cartridge. Here's everything you will ever want to know about the Grendel. http://65grendel.com/forum/

A built Grendel or Beo upper will cost anywhere from ~$700 to well over $2000 depending on what you get.

Just because I like whoring, here's a pic of my almost finished Grendel build.
    [​IMG]

3. Initial E

Initial E New Member

I saw some 416 uppers for sale on barfcom a while back. I hope you enjoy paying 2500+ for it. lol

Buy a piston kit for helluva lot cheaper.

4. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

It doesn't matter if the lower is marked 5.56 or .223. They're all the same.

The way the last ban was worded, it had to be already assembled. That's virtually unenforceable though, as they have no way of telling what you or didn't have attached at that time.

Good luck getting a HK416 upper.

5. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

your not gonna find an hk416 upper for even close to a reasonable price.

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

HK said something about their 416/417 rifles being imported into the US this year under a different name. No idea if they will be neutered or not though.

Unless you are a die hard HK collector, I can't imagine anyone honestly wanting to spend that much money on a production line built upper. I could have Noveske/MSTN/WOA/etc spin up extactly whatever I'm fantasizing for less money, and likely better components.

7. Sailor Jerry

There's one on GB for $4,500 right now :rofl:

8. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

:ugh: that would be about $4000 more than you would have to pay for any other .223 upper.

9. rawr

might just scrap the idea of building an AR and go with a beretta 92F or ruger p90

picked a wrong time to wanting to build an AR and specifically those caliber of ARs

10. Someone PM it to fr0ng. I'll be waiting for the main forum thread once he buys it.

11. Things just take a little while to get now. If you dig around the internet you'll likely be able to find a good number of parts in stock. Anything else can be backordered.

12. rawr

what i might want to do is just get the lower receiver fully built, upper doesn't really matter much to me at this point. i'm not in a rush to horde in a rifle.

or should i be worrying about getting an upper on as well?

13. If you come across an upper you like, then by all means get it. The lower is the part that's considered a firearm, so just getting a stripped lower should allow you to finish the build even if a ban comes. Of course, by that time prices and availability will be even more crazy than they are now.

14. Sailor Jerry

My dad has a Ruger P90. It kinda sucks :o