Some problems with Opera...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GunboatDiplomat, Oct 1, 2006.

1. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

Okay, this will make a (surprising) number of people happy. I am trying out Opera as a replacement for Firefox because I am tired of its incessant memory leaks. However, I am finding that Opera has its own share of problems. I am here, now, hoping that some Opera enthusiasts can help me resolve them.

First, if my Opera window is not maximized, it appears that I can't resize the window. Is this ture? Is there a setting to change this behaviour?

Secondly, why does Offtopic look like this?
    [​IMG]
    Again, please forgive the image size but, as per my first complaint, I couldn't resize the window so I had to use its maximized size to show my artifact.

Thank you...

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Make sure you're not using any of the Problematic Extensions for Firefox, some of them can cause massive leaks.

3. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

There was a thread/discussion about that before (I can't search, so I can't find it). I think it's a bug.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  4. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

For the record, you will/would like that in Firefox 2 (should be released this month. An RC has been out since a few days ago), when you select a word/phrase and right-click, you can search for the term using the active search engine (I noticed the "Definition of incessant" tab ;)), and it also has an integrated spell checker (in case the spelling is what you were interested in).

Plus, they've supposadly been fixing memory leaks (I never had a problem with it, so I dunno).

/runs

5. Euclid

Euclid New Member

I made a thread about the centering issue with tables in Opera. A couple other people admitted to experiencing it but no one has bothered to do anything about it.

My feeling is that it could be fixed by adding some kind of CSS text alignment property to TD in a browser-wide stylesheet. Haven't bothered doing it yet though.

6. Euclid

Euclid New Member

Okay, I did the following and it made OT look correct:

1. Create a file named "user.css"
    2. Put "TD { text-align: left }" in user.css
    3. Set "My Stylesheet" to your user.css file. On my computer this setting is under Preferences > Advanced > Content > Style Options > Display > My Style Sheet, but the preferences window might be different on Windows.

7. Mirwolf

Mirwolf Im confused and so am I

Wow great that works.
    Any idea how to make the cursor not jump to the middle of the screen when you left click?

8. GunboatDiplomat

Thank you, Euclid, this works although I must say that it feels rather heavy handed. For instance, the quote, reply and ignore links are also left justified when they should be right justified. Also, now that I'm in the reply page, most controls seem to be left justified now.

However, your suggestion does indicate that you know what you're doing. So, can you hypothesize a reason why Opera can't properly render Offtopic?

Finally, unrelated to anything else discussed in this thread, when I open a link in a new tab (with a middle mouse click), focus does not change to the new tab. Is there anyway to set this as my behaviour?

Thank you...

9. Euclid

Euclid New Member

I am noticing the reply button and other collateral damage. Maybe it can be narrowed down a bit more.

10. Dysfnctnl85

Dysfnctnl85 IT/Apple/Rotary/(D)SLR Crew

What build are you using? I only get this every 1 in 100 times I access OT and haven't experienced it with any other site.

Is it possible it's a problem with the CSS in OT? What Opera expects to be standards-compliant is much different than what FireFox expects.

11. GunboatDiplomat

Well, considering I just installed the thing, I'm obviously using the latest stable release.

If you're having no problems, try adjusting the font size...