A&P Some Player's Run pictures.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Z., Jun 10, 2004.

1. Z.

Z. _____

Not the greatest pan work, but you get the idea: click.

Digital Rebel, 18-55mm if you're curious. ISO 100, 1/60 shutter speeds on most of the pans. Let me know what you think.

2. Merli

Merli gplus.to/merli OT Supporter

Yeah, you're going to need to work on that panning...

You should be using AF-C/Continuous Servo/AF Servo/Whatever your camera calls it.

Also, pre-setup the zoom range you want to take the photo at, so you don't need to worry about framing the shot as you're panning. Then try following the car for a while before squeezing off the shot as the car is perfectly framed.

By following the car for a few second before taking the shot, and having the zoom pre-set for where you want to take the shot, and continuous servo taking care of the focusing, all you need to concentrate on is tracking the car at the right speed...

Good luck!

3. Z.

Z. _____

Appreciate the response!

They call that "sport mode" on the Reb, which basically puts me in AF-C and forces ISO 400. To tell you the truth, I've not really played around with this mode very much yet -- I'm more partial to aperture priority mode simply because that's what I tried first and was happy with the results I got in other conditions.

This particular time around, cars were coming and going so fast that I had trouble trying to pan in order to get each one. Combine that with an incorrect f number and AI AutoFocus and well, that's why most of the pans show a car with only a small portion of focus. I realize manual focusing would be great for these shots, but I have a hard time determining what exactly = sharp focus looking through the viewfinder. Didn't want to risk getting nothing, so I just let AutoFocus do its thing. :|

Some of my auto-x pans are much better, as I have time to check things and match speed way ahead of time (still using autofocus on these heh):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2004
  4. Merli

Merli gplus.to/merli OT Supporter

There's nothing wrong with using auto-focus for panning work as long as your camera and lens is upto the task.

Also, I understand your affinity for Aperture Priority, but think about what's going on in this instance... The main thing you want constant, is your shutter speed. You don't *really* care what aperture you use, as long as it's a relatively small one (more on this later). You should be using Shutter Priority and setting the shutter speed too APPROXIMATELY 1/x of the car's x speed.

So if the cars are going 150km/h at the point where you want to squeeze off your shots, set shutter priority to 1/150th second. (This is only a rough guide, but it works pretty well as a starting point from where you can fiddle)...

Then set your ISO so you're getting about f/11-f/16 at your desired shutter speed. This will give you more chance of getting the entire car in focus.

Second set are much better, but why are they so noisy? Are they really heavy crops of original photos?

Also the thing with panning is choosing a nice, even, plain background.. The truck in the back of the porsche detracts from the photo somewhat, as I'm sure you'd agree... The background of the BMW is a much better spot to take panning shots from!

It's also a lot easier to get clean pans from very fast moving objects, so you can set faster shutter speeds. i.e. It's easier to get a clean, sharp image of a car going 200km/h with a shutter speed of 1/180th than it is to get the same image of the car going 30km/h with a shutter speed of 1/30th... Make sense? :) So next time choose the faster parts of the track..

Although it'll seem hard to pan at that speed initially, if you follow the car for a few seconds before squeezing off the shot, you'll get used to the faster panning action very quickly and your shots will look awesome :big grin:

5. Z.

Z. _____

Both seem to be up to the task from what I can see -- user just needs a little work. :hs:

After reading what you typed below, this seems to make much more sense. Just thinking about doing it the other way has me excited to 1) try something different and 2) get better results. Weather permitting, I have a few events to attend over the next week that should give me an opportunity to try your suggestions.

I let a friend use the camera the night before and he bumped the ISO to 400 for some reason. Being forgetful, I never checked before shooting. Bad habit, I know . . .

Highly agreed. I will admit another one of my bad habits here: laziness. I tend to just pick a corner close to my car, just in case I get bored (or some uninteresting cars are running) I can go right there and wait for something else. :o

However, I just purchased one of those $12 chairs with cup-holders and whatnot the other day, so I'll just start carrying it to a good corner and hang out there if need be.

Makes sense to me!

Thanks again for an informative response. I will be sure to post results when I get them.

6. Z.

Z. _____

Nope.. just seems quite a few people can't access it for some reason. the server admin tells me the DNS hasn't changed for 6 months, so you could try to set up a host file for it, or maybe flush your DNS cache.

7. Z.

Z. _____

I suppose I could, but there are 70+ pictures to sort through. How about this link?: click.