A&P Some pics...need input

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by amill94, Feb 2, 2004.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Here are a couple pics I took the other day. I plan on taking some of the buildings around campus tonight b/c they have some nice lighting. Anyway, I'm really new to doing anything other than point and shoot. My camera is the Sony Mavica CD500. Anyway, here are a couple pics I took while driving, and also a shot of a water droplet. Could anyone give me some pointers on how to keep the camera from jumping around while driving? I had the camera on the dash, or steering column, but road vibration screwed it up. Also, I don't really have that many ideas of what to shoot upclose for macro shots or closeups. I saw alot of other peoples pictures, but it looks like you need to have a really good camera to get some awesome shots. Anyway, here are some pics I took. I'll post the others up so you can give me some ideas about what I can do to improve them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Personally, I just don't really like the first three at all. The last one definitely is the best of the bunch, but IMO it still has two problems: the biggest problem is the shadow of the bottle or whatever, its far too distracting. The second is the reflection of you and the camera in the drop.... But it's still a cool shot

3. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Well the first 3 were more or less boredom pictures that I just wanted to check out the shutter speed and stuff. I have some other water pics that are pics of just the water in mid air and stuff but the droplet isn't as defined as the last picture. I'm actually gonna head out soon and take some shots of a couple buildings around campus. I'll post them later. Thanks for the input.

4. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Here are some of the pics I took tonight. These were the best as far as not being too bright. I don't know if I did this right. None of these were taken with a flash. I just adjusted the apeture to stay open varying from 1-2 seconds. Is that right? I have a couple that were 3 seconds but they came out too bright. Anyway, here they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think of these.

Thanks

5. Wanna-B Race-R

Wanna-B Race-R New Member

the RPM ONE IS SICK!!! :eek3:

6. bOb sMiTh

bOb sMiTh Could Be Anyone

Awsome pics!

7. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

You used a tripod for those long exposure shots right? Pretty decent but there are some places with blown highlights and several areas with lots of purple fringe (which is pretty much to be expected on a sony camera)

8. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Yeah I used a tripod. This was the first time I took pics at night like this. I think I need to use less exposure time. The ones i posted were about 1.6-2 seconds. I think if I used 1 second or mabye a little less it would be a little better.

Blindsight, what is purple fringe? Tell me what picture and where to look on it to find this out. Like I said I'm definitly a noob in this aspect of cameras and lingo...

9. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

[​IMG]

well i circled the areas I thought could use some improvement ;) I'm by no means a pro, so don't take what I say as absolute truth by any means at all, I'm learning just like you. As you can see, purple fringe (PF as its often abreviated) occurs in high contrast situations and shows up as the name implies.. its not that big of a deal but its just "ugly" and its not what is there in real life. Sonys are bad about this :hs: Also there is a little spot in the tree where some PF shows up, and the light in the lower right is botched IMO. The clock tower has "blown" highlights as I put there.. no detail in that region. As I noted I would have got the tree out of the shot if possible and moved in front of it... ;)

Like I said I'm learning just like you, so maybe someone with more experience would step in and set me straight if I'm outta line.. keep up man, you have good locations and good ideas!

10. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I don't know why I have that tree in the way. Also, I noticed what your saying now about the pf, and the blown highlights in the clock tower. I guess I had the apeture open too long. I think that was a 2second or longer exposure. I should have tuned it down and moved closer to get the tree and light out of the way. Thanks for showing me the areas that pf and other problems occured. I appreciate the constructive criticism. Thanks.