MIL Some OCS questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by teep, Mar 3, 2009.

1. teep

teep New Member

I used to post here with questions a while back. After recent events in my life, I'm reconsidering OCS.

I have a lot more questions than this, but while I'm bored with nothing to I figured I'd post a couple questions I've been thinking about earlier. My internet isn't so great where I am right now so I can't do any real research.

I went to a top tier school, but it wasn't until afterwards that i really found my motivation. I didn't exactly get the best grades... will that play a big factor when applying? I can, however, get some good recommendations from some long time high ranking officers.

The other immediate concern is I used to have pretty mild asthma when I was a kid. I know this is a big deal in the Army, but I've never had an asthma attack, never will... it's just hard for me to breathe sometime, particularly during allergy season. an inhaler takes the discomfort away and will make things easier, but i can always work through it if i don't have it. i use it maybe twice a week. can i get a waiver for that? I can absolutely without a doubt tell you I would smoke the PT test. I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 300.

thanks! hope to talk to you guys more soon.

2. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

the way i was told is that you cant have asthma and join the military...

but it wasnt that big of a deal if u developed it while u were in the military.

i know of a few who made it through boot and AIT without their inhalers...then again ive heard of many who collapsed and almost died..and those that did die.

FYI if they bust u lying about it, theyre gunna come after u.

(sorry to be such a killjoy)

3. Mr. Monopoly

Mr. Monopoly OT Supporter

I'm pretty sure I was told at MEPS that if you've ever been diagnosed with asthma since age 12 and used an inhaler since then, it's a disqualifier.

4. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

im about to graduate navy OCS and let me tell you that if you have trouble keeping up with any PT, asthma or not, I wouldn't join. If you get rolled for any reason, you basically sit around in Holding company until you can finish that evolution and even though i've never been part of Holding company, but it's depressing in there.

5. JSin

JSin New Member

Ditto with Army OCS, that holding company (detail company) looked like the most depressed place in the world.