A&P some new pics... critiques appreciated.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by redna, Oct 21, 2003.

1. redna

redna New Member

Here are some pics that ive been meaning to post for a little bit. All are taken with a Sony DSC-P92 5.0mp P&S camera.

Elephant:
    Taken at night... about 12:30 or so. Lit with a streetlight and a glow stick on teh inside to light up the interior.

Post Processing: convert to B&W and layermask for color. crop and border.
    [​IMG]

Orange Sunset:
    Taken out my girlfriends back yard.

Post Processing: auto levels, auto color, brightness and contrast, unsharp mask, crop and border.

[​IMG]

Raining:
    Taken early in the day.

Post processing: auto levels, auto color, crop, border.

[​IMG]

Empty:
    Taken through the top of an empty beer bottle.... Cap is under neath the bottle and a yellow glow stick is to the side to provide lighting.

Post processing: Border

[​IMG]

Any critiques are appreciated.

2. brokenladder

brokenladder Guest

Elephant: Perhaps a better angle would help this photograph. There are a lot of distractions in the background. Hard to see and the elephant doesn't look complete.

Orange Sunset: Probably the least effective of the posted photos. Nothing special here and no point of interest.

Raining: Very nice. Great composition. Eyes drawn directly to the figures. The ominous clouds at the bottom add that special something.

Empty: It doesn't grab me at all. Other than that I'm not sure what to say about it.

3. Gutshot

Gutshot New Member

Since most just go :cool: pics
    here are some thoughts since you asked

#1 - Not sure what im looking at, not much interest in the picture. Maybe a tighter crop to remove the space on the right. Not sure why you left the head on the ground B/W. Perhaps a better angle on the broken figure. The intense orange isnt working for me. The orange border distracts from the image

#2 - I like the colors, border is very distracting (i tend to like very simple black of white borders or none at all). Looks like you may have oversharpned, im seeing some halos around the leaves. Good overall

#3 - I like this, nice exposure. I would perfer a much tighter crop on the faces. My eye is drawn to he black part of the umbrella which is not the the interest of the photo. You could also PS out the umbrella and replace with sky if you wanted. The blackness bothers me. Good Job

#4 - Hmm abstract, doesn't have much interest but good colors. Interesting

Have you ever checked out photo.net or fredmiranda.com they have critique forums there where youll get honest and sometimes very brutal critques

4. redna

redna New Member

Hmm, ill check those sites. Im trying to improve so its not hard for me to take critique. Bottom line is that i photograph for fun, but i would like to improve. Thanks for the honesty.

Brokenladder>> The elephant isnt complete.. the head broke off of it and is laying on the floor next to it. I was trying to excentuate the inside as being hollow or empty thats why i left it unpainted. I'll have to play with some lighting, the orange is the lighting of the street light. The picture was taken late at night.

5. brokenladder

brokenladder Guest

With the Elephant picture what I meant by not being complete was what CorporateStiff was referring to, why there was no colour on the disconnected head. Also, I think you may have cut off the feet of the elephant by making them B/W. It's hard to see though. You might try lighting the inside of the elephant in yellow instead of green. Worth a try/test maybe...

6. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

[​IMG]
    I really do not like this border. I don't like the large, dark background. I would have zoomed in on the elephant more, made it the centerpiece, main attraction of the photo.

[​IMG]
    I do not like the border, again. I don't really like the colors either, and the tree is too dark.

[​IMG]
    Border is not so bad here , I kinda like this pic, cloudy sky kind of enhances a melancholy feel. Good composition.

[​IMG]
    Not sure I like the border, just not a fan of em. Not sure about this pic, I like something sharply in focus, while halfway through the pic there is a defined focal point, I don't like it there. THis is a subjective photo, some either like it or they dont.