MIL Some Marines questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 9volt, Feb 21, 2007.

1. 9volt

9volt If you see me running, try to keep up

What is the average time it takes for someone to promote to E5 (Sgt)? What if someone was really determined? Could they do it in, say, 2-3 years?

For scout snipers (MOS 8541), are they always a part of an MEU?

Can officers hold that MOS? (scout sniper)

What if you're a scout sniper as a corporal, then promote to sergeant, can you still keep your MOS? Or do you have to assume your NCO command of a platoon?

2. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

Promotions depend a lot on MOS

had a guy i went to boot camp with, got Sgt (E-5) in less than 3 yrs. He was meritorious Cpl and Sgt though, the fucker was locked on and all about Marine Corps as can be ... :hsugh:

the rest of the shit you asked i have no clue about

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry New Member

I made Sgt in 2 1/2 years. Meritorious PFC, Lcpl and Sgt. Not sure about the sniper questions though.

4. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

whats your MOS?

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry New Member

It was 6673. I maintained UNIX mainframes. That is no longer an MOS though. It's now 6494. But like I said, I was meritoriously promoted 3 times, MOS had nothing to do with it.

6. Pusan

Pusan New Member

MOS has everything to do with promotions. But congrats anyway.

7. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Do you feel you knew enough to have been a Sgt in such a short time?

8. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

no shit.

LOL @ MOS had nothing to do with it. Whatever pog.

9. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

I should be getting promoted to sgt in the next couple of months, so right at around 4 years or less. and im an average marine. 2nd class PFT, high expert rifle, good pro/cons. One of my fellow MP's just made Sgt in less than 2 1/2 years about. he made meritorious LCpl, Cpl, and now Sgt. I personally disagree with meritorious promotions..but cool beans for him. i will never listen to a word he says though.

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry New Member

I was promoted twice before I even had an MOS. But yeah, you are absolutely correct :rolleyes:

And when I was a 19 year old Corporal, I was in charge of 20 other Marines and I was the NCOIC of my shop with no SNCO's. I definitely knew all of the BST's inside and out and my techinical proficiency was impeccable.

Hate on me being a pogue if you want. I made a decision when I joined that I don't want to have to depend on my back to make a living. And I don't. Currently, I'm a gov't contactor working overseas making tax free loot cakes to respond to idiots like you on the internet.

11. Pusan

Pusan New Member

So you either had a long MOS school or got Lcpl before you joined/boot camp?

Still, once you hit the fleet it still had everything to do wiht MOS.

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry New Member

I got meritoriously promoted upon graduating boot camp to PFC. I got Lcpl on recuiter's assistance just after boot camp. I picked up Corporal with cutting score. I won a board at the squadron, group and wing level (3 in total) to become a Sgt. The boards were against Marines of many different MOS's. The only rank that I picked up that can be attributed to my MOS was Cpl. So yeah, I'm not saying that MOS had nothing to do with it, but it was very far from "everything" to do with it.

I'm sure this statement won't be popular, but I think people use the whole MOS thing as an excuse for being a 4 year Lcpl.

13. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry New Member

Yeah, I saw that one coming.

I've been out for about 10 years, so I'm probably gonna stop this pissing contest now. As I stated above, I'm currently a gov't contractor, working overseas, using the experience I gained in the Marine Corps to earn 6 figures tax free a year.

I made the point that I intended to make with my first post. Where there's a will, there's a way. Anyone who blames their lack of success on something as stupid as what MOS they are in, is just too lazy to excel.

14. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

being a grunt isnt for everyone. you can go do your thing, and ill go do mine. but dont sit here and say youre just so damn hotshit that you've have been meritoriously promoted in any MOS. then try to pick up a time in grade promotion in an MOS with a cutting score thats almost 1700, then we'll talk

15. BajaDak

BajaDak If you have poo......fling it now

heh...fatboy

16. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

I'm no where fat. I weigh around 160. I just dont run as well as others, and would rather spend my off time doing other things than PTing to improve it really.