WEB Some Joomla questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dpixel8, Apr 19, 2010.

1. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I am the wrong side of the brain when it comes to coding, but can do CSS/XHTML. However, a new business venture requires that we need a CMS with shopping cart and shipping functionality. We have decided due to our lack of GOOD coding experience, we would like to use Joomla.

Have used it for a few clients who wanted BASIC sites, where we used some of the included "templates" :)mamoru: if you want to call them that). What we're looking to do now is, purchase or acquire a designed template with how we would somewhat like it laid out, and then do the gfx changes ourselves.

1) How difficult is it to change all of the gfx for a template, and how would one go about doing this (is the PSD file included or can we just modify the images from the template)

2) If this is above our head, is there anyone in here who would be willing to help with the process? This isn't going to be a very in depth site, but again it will need shopping cart functionality, and shipping items. Just wondering, if there IS someone who would be willing to help, PM me with what you would charge, or if someone wants to answer some of the questions, please feel free to do so.

Thanks a lot guys :wavey:

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

All it would require is some knowledge of HTML and CSS...

However, if you used Drupal, all you had to do is load the "I'm awesome for using Drupal" module and it's already done.

3. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

too much coding knowledge needed for drupal. I know you're a big proponent of it, but it's not needed for this.

So basically just doing what I said, changing the gfx and editing the CSS/HTML? Download/purchase template that we like the layout of and just going from that as a starting point would work? (this is just a timeline issue, otherwise we'd do it from scratch. However the other 2 business partners do not have any coding experience whatsoever, so joomla is the option due to them being able to make changes, etc)

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

You'll actually end up writing more code for Joomla at the end of the day though.

Yes, it's all CSS and HTML. If you're using a pre-existing template, don't touch any of the templating code, just modify the CSS/HTML around it and you're pretty much gold.

As long as the template you purchase has the same wireframe of your design.

5. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Not sure exactly what you're doing, but I've built many sites with Drupal and have not yet needed to edit any code aside from my own custom XHTML/CSS and moving some PHP variables around in template files. I'm working on a online store now as well.

6. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

if you're using a CMS for the store, why not use Magento?

7. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

Basically a SMALL store, option of purchasing online, but also informational. Will not be a TON of products, mostly just select items. Kinda hard to explain. And I've just used Joomla before, but not based on an actual DESIGN that I've done, but rather using their "templates" because that's all the client wanted to pay for.

I'll look into this. Thanks :wavey:

8. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

um. hrm. $11,000/year? So I assume your comment was sarcasm?

9. White Stormy

10. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

Think we might just use Netsol's CommerceSpace. Fits the bill as to what we need, is affordable, and APPARENTLY will be able to dump my normal design files in, and then add shopping cart/login/etc options over that.

11. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

12. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

huh. crazy. magento seems like it's really oriented more towards designers actually. :o

13. White Stormy

I haven't used it yet myself, but I've heard lots of good things

14. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

Reading through it, it looks interesting. Sort of want to get away from the whole "2/3 or more column" type of storefront though, as the style of the site is not really going to be geared towards that. So that's what I am going to have to look into. Would be nice for it to be free, but then again, I am pretty sure I can just dump all my code from a custom site, into commercespace and have it LOOK how we want, but also have the backend (which their backend really isn't too bad. especially for what we need.)

fuck, 3 more hours and i've hit 24 straight :rofl:. Oh wells, I sorta miss this stuff, minus the bullshit