Some issues with back...can i still deadlift/squat?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by BrownWalrus, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

I'm not sure what it's called, my spine basically bends a bit to the right, causing my right side (mainly seen in my right shoulder) to be lower. The first doc that found this out said i shouldn't weight lift at all. I was pissed and went to get a second opinion, from a skeleton/back/spine (whatever their called) doctors, since this guy was just an allergy doctor. The second doc said my problem wasn't that serious and i just needed some massage and swimming would help a lot to get it straightened. Now, she asked if my back hurt sometimes when lifting, and i couldn't say no, even if it rarely ever did (deadlifts, bent overs, etc, maybe even with regular standing exercises sometimes). She told me to do my exercises seated (i can't remember if i should or if that's what she recommended). Anyways, i can probably get away with doing db curls and shit like that, but i don't wanna give up deadlift/squat, etc :wtc:. What do you guys think, anyone have/had a similar problem like that? I don't know how long it till take to get fixed, i'm also a bit of afraid of this shit because i think i'm supposed to grow another 1-3 inches and i'm not sure if these problems can impact it .

The reason i'm asking for your help is because if i were to just make a thread like this, you guys would tell me to go to the doctor, which i already did. I just wanna know what you guys think, it's not like she said that this shit was really serious, and i have a feeling that a lot of doctors just say crap to be extra safe, or something. Or should i just keep it safe and wait till it gets fixed?

2. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

You have scoliosis. Plenty of people have it and it doesn't change anything as far as lifting weights.

3. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

If you have two doctors who say you shouldn't, and it hurts you to do them, then don't do them regardless about what some idiots on OT say. Each persons ability to lift is unique, just use good judgment.

4. Fireman68w

Fireman68w Banned

Well I am kind of in a similar situation, but with my knee/leg. My right leg has been shorter than the left and over the years as I was developing this caused the right leg to be weaker than the left since it's a little shorter. This had serious implications when I hit puberty. I had to have 2 operations because I had Osteochondritis dessecans. In lamence terms a part of the bone in my knee which sits on top of the cartiledge was breaking away from the rest of the bone. I had surgery to secure that part that was breaking away and it is now secure. Recently a military doctor reccomended that I do no excessive squatting, jumping, and running. Well I could listen to this doctor and lower my quality of life and not be active. However I decided not to do this. I know my own body better than any doctor. I have been living a very active life and I do all the things the military doctor has told me I was unable to do. I can honestly say that my knee has had no effect on the active lifestyle that I chose for myself.

My advice to you is to listen to your own body. Listen to the doctors advice but in the end its your body. Research as much as you can about this condition you have and do proactive activities that will enable you to live the lifestyle you choose for yourself.

5. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

i'm not sure if it's actually scoliosis, whenever i see scoliosis , it looks as if the spine bends multiple ways as it goes up, and you can clearly see on the persons back that it's not straight. For me, it bends a tad to the right at the top of the spine, something that. Then again i could of have just seen really bad sciolisis pics...so i'm getting mixed opinions so far, i wonder if i will make the condition worse by doing squat/deadlift..

6. Fireman68w

Fireman68w Banned

Just go light at first and progress more when you feel comfortable. If you notice anything different like it getting worse then I would stop. I don't really see how squats could make it worse though.

7. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

It doesnt have to bend multiple ways. I have mild scoliosis and basically the spine curves out to the left in the middle and goes off to the right at the top.

8. Abomb

Abomb New Member

my bud has scoliosis and still deads and squats lol

9. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

:O

yea i must have really really mild scoliosis because it's impossible to tell any differences unless you already knew it's there, and even then, the only thing you would see is that my right shoulder is a little lower, my back looks completely straight...i guess i'm safe to dead and squat...i'll probably take it slowly

10. markfluko

markfluko New Member

I think the best solution would be to quit playing WoW and actually work out more. Instead of weighing 130 lbs. FLAMED!

11. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Depends on how severe the bend is. If you bend over like you were doing a hami stretch and if one shoulder noticeably, meaning someone without any knowledge of anatomy would notice, is lower than the other, you got a problem. You could be fine, but if you start doing DL's and experience pain in your lower back, your best bet is not to do it.

12. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

nigga at least say something true, i stopped playing that shit more than a year back, while you and jonk still play it daily.

osnap flamed!

and while you're it at, contribute a bit more to the thread and realize that i look better than both of you combined

13. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

shouldn't your lower back be hurting anyways, if you're doing deadlifts that is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.