MMA Some interesting stuff at the pre-ufc press conference

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by kopetzki, Aug 8, 2009.

1. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

• On Josh Barnett or Frank Shamrock returning to the UFC: “Josh Barnett’s going to be a tough one. … I made up with Tito; maybe I can make up with Frank.”

• On Pride fights airing on Spike: Best of Pride show will air in January. “We have to make a lot of money to make up for what we paid for that f--ker.” :bowrofl:

• On Brock Lesnar’s post-fight behavior: “Brock is a different kind of guy. … I don’t tell anybody how to act unless they go over the line. … He’s a little rough around the edges.” Also said MMA is full of sportsmanship, but you can’t fit all fighters into one mold.

• On network TV deals: “I had a deal with HBO. I probably could have two or three other network deals, but it didn’t make sense. … When the right deal comes, we’ll take it. … Could be months.”

• On female fighters in UFC/WEC: Not enough good women to create a division, but there are talented women fighters. Named Gina Carano as one of them.

• On where the UFC will do shows: everywhere. Pittsburgh, Toronto, New York, Abu Dhabi, Puerto Rico. White said Thursday he’s looking at doing a show at a cricket stadium in Abu Dhabi.

• On WEC/UFC merger: They’re talking about it.

• On a fan echoing White’s “Strikefarce” comment from Friday: “Wow, that got out already?”

• On going head-to-head with the Mayweather pay-per-view on Sept. 19: “They went head to head with us. … Boxing keeps trying to fight with us.” Likes boxing, not sure what they’re doing.

• On UFC in Brazil: “We just started really cultivating Brazil.” Hired a PR firm there, has a TV deal and ratings are “awesome.”

• On UFC in Japan: “They want to kill me over there. … We have to figure out how to navigate around these guys. … Bad dudes over there.”

• On Wanderlei Silva’s next fight: Likely for England in October.

• On Rashad Evans vs. Quinton Jackson and TUF 10: “This is the best season we’ve ever done.” Quinton and Rashad turning out to be the biggest grudge match in UFC history -- can’t get close to each other without trying to fight.

• On signing with more major sponsors: Bad economy makes it tough, but there are talks.

• On having a weekly show right now: “There’s definitely not enough talent for the ‘Tuesday Night Fights’ type show.”

• On a show in Toronto: Toronto will be the biggest gate ever in North America.

• On Anderson Silva vs. Roy Jones Jr.: “I liked Roy Jones, but Roy Jones isn’t relevant anymore.”

• On GSP-Penn III: “I’d never say never, but I’m not thinking about it now.”

• On Tito Ortiz’s first fight since returning: Tito vs. Mark Coleman is set.

2. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

i guess the UFC/WEC merger is the biggest one

3. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

clearly, since you made it huge

4. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

i learned that in graphic design

5. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

Best of pride sounds great...but January?

6. roose

roose Guest

fuck that, leave them how they are.

if anything move the 155 UFC division to the WEC.

7. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

Id like to see how razor rob does against the ufc lw guys. I would also like to see faber and torrez on UFC events. I dont think either of them get enough exposure in the wec.

8. roose

roose Guest

:rofl: razor rob would get his shit pushed in

9. Swipe

Swipe New Member

Tito v Coleman? That's gonna be a funny one.

10. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

:werd:

carpool.

11. HandgunFantasy

HandgunFantasy My purity you stole.

id love a show in toronto.
    just a quick subway ride :bowdown:

12. HandgunFantasy

HandgunFantasy My purity you stole.

I think a WEC and UFC merger makes a lot of sense.

They can produce at least 1 PPV and 1 Free TV event every month , absorb the best 155 guys from WEC and add the 145 and 135 divisions.

That makes more sense given the popularity of the UFC brand and the LEGIT amazing preformances being put on at the 145 and 135 divisions.

13. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

:werd:

I really think thats the best idea. They would make more money too. The amount of exposure people like Torres and Faber would bring to the brand is only beneficial to the UFC's pockets. Plus they can boast about having the best fighters in all weight classes truly then.

14. Kuet

Kuet New Member

:hsugh:

15. Kuet

Kuet New Member

wanderlei silva's next fight: in ENGLAND !!!

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Good night again, Mr BISPING !!!!

16. .Tim

.Tim New Member

This is really the most important part to me. :x:

17. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Apparently they want Coleman to earn his comeback. :rofl:

18. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

Dude, have you ever been to a UFC or any other big MMA show? They talk about all these attendance records like they're a big deal, but remember: almost ALL of these shows sell out. That means that the promoters venue size choice is what's holding back attendance numbers. If dana white wanted, UFC 100 could have been in a football stadium and it would have sold out, they just would have had to sell the shit seats for shit seat prices.

Now heres the thing (which you probably already figured out at least part of)...

The UFC (as well as other promoters) don't WANT to do huge shows, they dont want everyone to be able to go to the fights. By making sure ALL shows sell out, they are making sure that there are people out there who tried to get tickets, but it was too late.
    This causes two main effects - (1) the next time there is a show in town the customers are aware of the fact that lots of other people want to go too. Thats good for both customer psychology ("ooh I want to be cool too!") and company image. (2) People buy tickets SOONER - and we hear a lot about that don't we, how fast a show sells out? - well this gives the company justification to raise ticket prices. Normally if they raise prices too much with no reason, people throw a fit (see: Cowboys and Yankees).

Anyways I'm tired of typing. fin

19. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah but I think there would be some good matches for him. He can put on a hell of a scrap, I want to see him vs Diaz lmao