some help for a female.. please

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Daze, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daze

Daze Guest

First of all I'll mention yes I have read the stickies and the archieves..
    There is not that much for female info in them; but I have learned alot since.

I just want some opinions from you guys if I'm doing this whole work out weight loss, nutrition thing right.

I'm 25 years old... a female.. I'm 5'2" and 160 pounds :wtc:
    last week I started a diet, nutriton, excercise plan.

Now the calorie intake calculators I have found say that I should be taking in 1700 calories a day or 1200-1300 a day for weight loss.
    I've opened up an account on fitday and I'm dedicatly addicted to that site lol.

My friend who lifts tells me I should take in 1g of protein per a pound of body weight I have to help lean out. Unfortantly I have not found anything really about protein and females.. and mostly loosing weight.
    I do understand that I have to keep building the muscle so I don't burn that but yes burn the fat. Yet I am once again a chick and don't want to look all manly.

as far as my workouts been going.. I've been going 4 days a week.
    15 mins of interval cardio each day..
    day 1. arms, shoulders, back, chest
    day 2. Abs and legs
    day 3. arms, shoulders, back, chest
    day 4. Abs and legs

any suggestions or comments expecially for the female body
    thanks in advance

2. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

The information in the stickies are just fine for you, as it looks like you have are just starting out.

You don't need any special information in regards to being female vs male. Its not like you are just gonna wake up and suddenly be not fat, and jacked like a guy whos been lifting for years.

3. Liddy

Liddy Not enough cowbell.

You aren't gonna look "manly" from lifting weights. If anything you'll look a lot better than you think you will. Some girls have posted their pics here (most of whom lift weights) and none of them are beefy.

Advice regarding nutrition is the same as for males... there's nothing specific for females so just read read read.

And I just realised that I reiterated what hotdamn said.

4. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

calories in must be less than the calories being burnt
    lift weights
    eat less
    do some cardio

voila

5. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

you're not gonna look manly unless you take hormones (and protein isn't gonna mess with your hormone levels unless the chickens lived next to a nuclear plant maybe) so don't worry about the urban myth junk about woman lifting weights. and watch your calorie intake, don't get to drastic or you're body will compensate and you'll stop losing weight and will be hungry all the time so eat often but eat healthy protein rich foods, chicken should be your best friend imo. I'm fat but have lost over 90 pounds so far with lots of weight lifting and careful diet maintance. i use www.fitday.com as does many people on here i think and it works great for me to track calories etc and it's free. good luck

edit, i missed in your post the 1st time i looked at it that you already use fitday. so nevermind on that lol

6. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Saying "I don't want to get too muscular" is like saying "I don't want to become too rich." Unless you work really hard to make it happen, it's not going to.

7. Neo95gt

Neo95gt Guest

eat chicken/fish and veggies, bump up cardio.....not sure if im crazy about your 2 day split

8. Ceaze

there's nothing wrong with an upper/lower split

9. Liddy

For a total beginner, I think it's kind of boring... (i.e. because it's the same shit all the time, lose interest = get fat again).

Personally, I found mixing it up a whole lot more exciting. I started out with Bill Starr's and had awesome results within 2 months of starting out. :dunno:

Something for Daze to consider.

10. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

Boring is not a good word for the gym. Gym is not for fun, it should be your life. Take it seriosuly.

11. Liddy

Alright psycho, just because it's for life doesn't mean it has to be mind-numbing. All I was saying is that I'd get bored with it.

And if you're lifting weights properly, you shouldn't be doing the same shit twice a week anyway. Amirite?

12. TZ

TZ Banned

i dunno what you guys are talking about, i look forward to lifting, it's fun as hell!! :fawk:

13. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

There was a tiny bit of sarcasm there, just a bit

14. xela

xela So say we all!

Good luck with the weight loss!

15. Ceaze

Beginners aren't better off "mixing it up." Repeating the same movements a few times a week is more beneficial for the facilitation of motor learning.

Most beginners feel more comfortable in the gym performing movements they're familiar with.

The Bill Starr routine isn't ideal for a woman whose priority is to lose fat.

Everyone has awesome results in their first 2 months.

16. Liddy

Whatever, I just posted what worked for me. :dunno:

17. TheMentor

TheMentor New Member

I got my workout routine from http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php it's a website specifically for womens' weight training. She has routines, recipes, and it's not a girly girl site at all. I found it to be really informative.

I posted some pics up in my log, and I've been lifting and I don't think I look manly at all. And I'm short like you, which means that when you gain 5lbs it really looks like 10lbs. I'm try to cut off a few extra that I gained over the holidays after successfully losing 20lbs over the course of a few months. I still need to find a horrible before picture for comparison though.

Good luck with the weight loss. PM if you need motivation :)

18. Daze

Daze Guest

well what do you recommend? and what is Bill Starr's? I take all things into consideration.. so feel free to link me info.
    So far doing it for 2 weeks.. it hasnt gotten boring.. haha yet.

19. Daze

Daze Guest

ok thanks.. that was pretty much the over all picture i was wondering about

20. Daze

Daze Guest

thank you soooo much for the link!! and you're totally right! Because we are short we look chunkier when the added weight is only alittle. I'll check your log while im at home (most of the time pics are blocked at work) Good luck with your goals and weight loss also. :)

21. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

:gtfo:

22. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

You seems to be headed in the right direction.

The only thing I'll tell you is to bump the calories back up a bit. Normally, the "eat 500 calories below maintenance" thing works. But, being female, 500 calories is a significant drop. Most people who drop their intake by a large margin loose weight at the beginning, then the thryroid production of t3 slows, then the conversion of t3->t4 slows, then your metabolism goes to shit, you get fed up, go off the diet, and end up fatter than where you started. For a female with such a low calorie intake, 200-300 cals below maintenance is where I would aim. Let your weight training make up for the rest of it (yes, weight training is more important than cardio).

23. trancezj

trancezj New Member

that's a pretty good way to put it.

24. qwop

qwop underground pirate OT Supporter

Aside from the steroid route, is there anything a girl can do if she wanted to bulk up and become - what some other women would deem 'too' - muscular?

25. Ceaze

the same thing that men do...eat above maintenance and train hard in the 6-12 rep range

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.