Some frustrating things about IT

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, May 14, 2008.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Unless you are IBM or somr other service company, IT is not about bringing more money into a company. It is always an expense and is often seen as a necessary evil instead of a contributing team to the goals of the company. We also generally don't provide ways to make more money, but are expected to prevent the loss of income that happens with poor performance or stability. So, we can't add, but we can certainly take away. We don't create products for people to use, but instead build and support platforms for the products of others to live.

2. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

This is one of the big reasons its nice to work in IT at a place that doesn't make money.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Non-profit or poorly run company?

4. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

University. We have a lot of departments on campus that get grants for new technology, and my team and I get to implement the new stuff.

5. Neuman

Neuman New Member

IT = overhead

6. Neuman

Neuman New Member

:cool:

i was thinking i wouldn't mind working at a university...

7. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

You typically get paid less than industry average, but you also typically have good benefits, a relaxed environment, and much better job security than many other companies.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Working in IT for a product company = good. You need to be building software, systems or services they sell or profit directly from.

Working in IT doing some kind of support for a non-IT money making endeavor = SHIT.

Get the first kind of job if you can, and avoid the second kind of job. Get a job at a software company or website.

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

dawt

10. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Totally the wrong way to look at IT. IT should be an enabler, not a support service. Most IT groups wait for things to break before they respond. Some IT groups don't wait for things to break and are proactive about making sure things are stable. The few, like ours, looks for initiatives in all areas of the company and helps drives business.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Right attitude, but wrong environment for what he wants.

12. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Only part of what I said has to do with where you work. Working at a university doesn't mean you are actually creating anything, it just means there are less pressures about the bottom line. Now, you can work hand in hand with a team that creates something of real value, but typical IT work is about creating a platform for someone else's creation to run on. A PC, server or network on its own is really nothing.

13. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

This is one reason why I moved from working in a corp. IT department to a services oriented gov't contracting company. Now, instead of maintaining systems day to day, I am responsible for building deliverable solutions, integrating them into existing environments, and training the gov't IT departments on how they work. After that, I'm out the door and on to the next deliverable.

IMO it's a MUCH more interesting job.