A&P some cls questions

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by pawis, May 6, 2009.

1. pawis

pawis werd em up

so, on the d200, im powering a sb600 via the preflash, and i dont have a full understanding of cls but i think there is two types, one via preflash, and one via infrared? is this the case?

ok, so obviously on the d200 i have to use preflash, but im just wondering in outdoor situations with very bright natural light do people tend to have issues with cls working properly or is this not an issue? (coming from the idea of flash exposure matching available light exposure causing the flash units not to detect a different or something, i dunno if im wording this right)

also, is anyone able to explain how just with a preflash how the camera transfers the settings info set from the camera to the flash? and for that matter 2 different groups of flashes(i havent done this yet, but it just boggles my mind and to think the with a su800 i can control 3 groups i think it is?)

im thinking it might just be one of those dont ask questions, just be happy its awesome and works sorta things... but thanks to anyone who can bring light to any of this stuff. :wiggle:

2. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

with the canon setup the preflash is to help the camera to determine the correct exposure. It preflashes and then the camera reads that information in a split second to fire just the right amount of flash power.

3. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

My understanding:
    CLS does not use IR. The preflash on camera is to signal the receiving speedlights to do their preflash (low power). The camera meters off these flashes and sends a signal back (with flash patterns) to determine the power needed (assuming you meant TTL mode). All this is done quicker than you can really see.

4. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

www.dtowntv.com

they've done 3 sessions JUST on CLS. some great info in there that I didn't even know.

5. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

6. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

Looks like I was wrong about not using IR.