Some car advice. Have '67 Camaro... time for a new car?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Fewski, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Fewski

Fewski New Member

With the gas prices rising extremely fast, I can't really even drive my '67 Camaro. It's a partial restoration project, the interior is factory original in perfect condition while the body needs minor work with some paint, and the engine and suspension needs medium work. I've been driving it, or was... before gas hit $3.50. It gets around 7-8mpg, so I haven't been driving it.

Anyways, I was thinking of selling it to get something newer and more efficient. I love it, and hate thinking about this... but being 18 and going to college, can't really afford the gas, let alone the money to restore it. I'm looking for some advice on a nice sports car around $10,000 or under that gets around 28+ gas mileage highway. I took a look at the 1999-2002 Camaros, GTO's, and the 1998-2004 Mustang's, but they don't get the best city.

What else is out there? Should have a backseat. :naughty:

Thanks.

2. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

Why is the mileage so bad? It should do much better, unless it's seriously built (or has a sick QuadraJet). :dunno:

3. Caanon

Caanon OT Supporter

Put an LS1 in it? Seems to solve most problems in the car world. :)

Or get a really cheap car with good gas mileage and work on it when you're able.

4. dont sell it man. You will regret it for the rest of your life My dad sold his 69 z28 and regrets it, I sold my 68 and regret it.

Ive never heard of a person say "Im so glad I got rid of that classic" I can understand your current position though. I sold mine when I got married because it just wasnt economical anymore.

Take Caanon's advice. Find a cheap commuter car and park the camaro. It will be worth it in the long run

5. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

A sports car that gets 28+ mpg? :squint:

6. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

E36 BMW M3, the German Muscle car.:)

7. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

I hear the GTO owner's do pretty good.

8. My C5 will do 22 in town if I'm nice to it, and I can get mid 30s on the freewway.

9. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Can you get a C5 or a GTO for $10K? Even if you can, can you imagine what the insurance would be for an 18-year old?

10. That's beside the point. I wasn't advocating he get one, I was pointing out to you that there are sportscars that can do considerably better than even 28mpg.

11. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

selling my 69 camaro was the biggest mistake of my life.

12. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

13. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Keep the Camaro, buy a cheap car to use around town car (an old accord or corolla) that gets decent gas mileage, continue with the restoration.

Do what you have to do, but don't sell the Camaro. You will regret it.

14. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

I find that very hard to believe.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's not that hard to believe. Older cars are less safe for passengers, and have heavier frames that can do more damage to other vehicles in an accident. If a C6 Corvette and a Honda Accord smack into each other, they'll suffer about the same amount of damage (cost to repair notwithstanding), but if an F-body and a Honda smack into each other, the Honda will probably have a few thousand in damage and the F-body will need its bumper straightened.

Considering that the average American teenager gets in five collisions (to say nothing of accidents that don't result in damage) within the first year of driving, and considering that teenagers usually get old cars to start out with, it's actually pretty easy to believe that insurance companies would want to cover their asses as quickly as possible.

16. deusexaethera

Anyway, I think the OP should do a hybrid conversion on his old Camaro. Track down a domestic hybrid system, preferably with a V6 or something comparable, and install that bad boy in the engine bay.

Before anyone goes apeshit over the idea of putting a hybrid V6 in a V8 muscle car, consider that even the lowly Toyota Prius has 300ft-lbs of torque. Electric motors can tear the world in half without even getting hot. He'd get all the torque of his old V8, similar power at highway speeds (for the length of time it takes to pass a few cars, anyway), and ~30mpg to boot.

I think it would be a great way to show that hybrid cars don't have to be wimpy little pieces of shit.

17. though I dont like this idea I can see the point of it. I just have a few questions.

Dont cars like the puris get good mileage in part because the car weighs 2K lbs? Would you still see something close to the original economy in a 3800+lbs car? Or would the motor be so over worked you would get lower mileage?

I think something to keep in mind here is he doesnt have alot of money, what would a hybrid driveline cost? Plus costs to fab everything to make it fit?

18. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

Depending on what motor the car has, he could improve it with some careful cam & carb selection. The smallblock Chevy can do fairly well with a proper tune, and the 1st-gen Camaro isn't too heavy.

I had a '76 Impala with a Quadra-Junk'd 350 that easily got >25mpg (as high as 29 on one trip) on the highway. This isn't average, of course, but it shows that the motor can do well.

I'd store the current parts until I could afford to let it sit through the week & be just a weekend cruiser.

19. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Without facts, you are just stating an opinion... just like I am.

I still find it hard to believe.

20. deusexaethera

I am stating facts. Crumple zones weren't in wide use until the 90's, and cars that have them suffer much more damage than cars that don't, and the statistical average number of collisions per year for drivers between 16-17 is 5.

So, if you disregard my entire post, yeah, I wasn't quoting anything factual. But hey, believe what you want, I can't stop you anyway.

21. JM Popaleetus

JM Popaleetus OT Supporter

Pics and location?

22. deusexaethera

The weight of the car does have an effect, yes, there's no getting around that one. The other major differences between hybrids and regular cars are:

1. The engine shuts off when the car is stopped and the batteries are charged, and accessories like power steering and A/C are electrically-driven instead of belt-driven so they can work with the engine off.

2. The electric motor doubles as a generator, to recharge the batteries while slowing the car down during light braking.

Both of those have a huge effect on the car's MPG in stop/go traffic. It doesn't even seem to matter how often you stomp the gas (dependent on engine size, of course), because unless you live on a racetrack, the time you spend at full-throttle is maybe 1-2% of the total time you're driving. When I was tooling around in a Prius last week, I mashed the gas at every stoplight and my average per-trip MPG dropped from 48.3 to 46.3. Obviously a bigger car with a bigger engine wouldn't hit those numbers, but it's hard to imagine any numbers not being a substantial improvement over 8mpg. Hell, even 16mpg would cut his fuel bill in half.

The Prius weighs 2932lbs, by the way, I just looked it up.

- - -

EDIT: To be honest, I have no idea how much it would cost to do something like this. I wasn't really thinking about money, I was thinking more about what a cool project it would be. If cost is a major obstacle, then the best option would be to buy a new engine with comparable power.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  23. thats cool, I was just throwing out questions.

I figured the prius was alittle heavier than 2K, just putting a number out there. I wouldnt mind seeing a project sorta like that. But I would stay away from a classic muscle car personally. Now if it was something like a vega, that would be cool to see. That car was pretty small for its time and if a SBC fits a hybrid drive train should too.

24. Pogi

Pogi Official Pointy Boot Guey Ver 1.0

You are not going to find a GTO for 10,000 dollars.

25. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Repairing a C5 is going to cost a hell of a lot more than repairing a 30 year old f-body (which wouldn't take too much to total unless it is in showroom condition)... and someone could get in more accidents with a C5 simply due to the fact that is faster than a '67 Camaro... and someone could get in more accidents because they push the car beyond their drving abilities since they feel that the C5 is safer.

Call your insurance company and get a quote on equal coverage for an 18 year old driving a C5 and a 30 year old f-body and then you can state facts about the cost.