Some audio help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DrK_Mrk_iV, Nov 23, 2003.

1. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

Right now I have my computer hooked up to some crappy jvc reciever and two crappy speakers. The quality isn't too good because the speakers arent good. I obviously have the cable that allows me to run from the computer to the receiver. I have an nforce2 chipset, and I heard that the integrated sound on this thing is pretty good. I am thinking about getting a receiver for about 200 bucks with 5.1 and dts sound, and run my sounds off that. Would that be a good idea? Would the quality of sound be pretty good? I dont really want to spend about 300 bucks on audio to make it sound like crap. Any tips or ideas would be grateful. :)

2. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

do you have optical out on your sound card?? if you do, the quality should be pretty good if you use that, and you will get all 5 channels with sub

3. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

I only have the standard 3 jacks on my sound card. The shit on my integrated sound is: Realtek ALC650E 6-channel full-duplex integrated sound... I don't have an optical or digital out on my sound card. Which ones do?

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

You will need a sound card with SPDI/F output to get the full advantages, and the 5.1.

They range in price from $25 to $250.

5. Lee

Lee New Member

Of course it would be better.
    I mean you state your using a "Crappy JVC Reciever".
    If your reciever is crappy, then the output from the receiver to the speakers will of course be crappy.

6. 04

04 Guest

Unless you buy new speakers as well, the sound will actually be just about as bad.

I suggest spending that 200 dollars on new speakers first, THEN buying a new receiver later on.

There is no point in buying a new 5.1 receiver anyways when you only have 2 speakers. You wont get any surround sound, and your receiver will process the signal the same way the computer does: to two channel.

7. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

Oh I was going to get speakers with the new reciever... I thought that was implied-theres no way I would use these again.

8. 04

04 Guest

I must have missed that or something.

Anyways, be sure that you get at least 4 speakers (2 fronts and 2 surrounds) otherwise having a dolby digital receiver is kinda pointless. A subwoofer would help too, but your budget is like 300 dollars right?

If your budget is only 300 dollars, I would really suggest getting the Klipsch 4.1 computer speaker set, it will probably sound better than buying a new receiver and some cheaper speakers.

But its really up to you.