A&P Some answer this simple question for me

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Girth, May 26, 2008.

1. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

We always hear about canons being better for sports photography vs. Nikon. I'm curious as to why?

People believe Nikons have better lenses, they are comprable in speed to canons when it comes to bodies, so why are canon 'sports photog' and Nikons are 'studio/portrait'

:dunno:

2. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

because until the d3, and even possiblly with the d3, the 1ds series has dominated the d2x series.

3. Girth

So it was basically the fps on the cameras and the focusing in the body, correct?

4. mojito

mojito New Member

the 1d series has always been the better over all camera. Better high iso performance, faster, higher resolution . . .

canon's teles re on equal ground, and cost less for the same focal length, and received IS faster.

canon is better at marketing

I also wouldn't say nikon has a hold on the studio market either at this point.

5. mojito

mojito New Member

no, the d2h series died at 4mp and even when compared to the 1d dinousar, it was the loser. Now the integrated the d2x and d3 with high res and fast fps, but so many had already converted

6. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

Up until very recently Canon has had a better pro camera, period. And they have better marketing. Because of those two things they captured a majority of the pro market over many years.

I think you are starting to see it change though with Nikon's newer cameras like the D3 and D300. The 24MP D3x this year should also help, and Nikon's answer to the 5D Mark II (or whatever it's called). At their press conference a couple weeks back on the year's numbers, they even explicitly said they will be focusing on the high-end this year and next.

Overall, Nikon has been closing the gap in DSLR sales. In 2007, market share was 42.7% vs. 40% for Canon and Nikon, respectively. In 2006 it was 46.7% vs. 33%.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  7. Girth

I figured a lot of it had to do w/ marketing... and I know Nikon is has been behind until recently. Like mojito said, people have already changed and Canon has taken advantage of that w/ the advertising. I wonder once the field is somewhat leveled w/ the D3s and the future FF Nikons if we're going to see a good mix of them being used for both cases. :dunno:

8. mojito

mojito New Member

I don't see existing shooters changing over, as the cost is too large, the teles are more expensive and theres benefits to each existing current cam.

but for new shooters, you probably will see more. But don't underestimate the power of fitting in and swapping equipment either.

9. Girth

peer pressure is a bitch. I have to hear it every time I'm shooting w/ my Canon buddy. :mamoru:

When I had a hard time finding the 70-200 VR for my Nikon, I almost contemplated selling my D80 and existing lenses and switching the dark side and buying a 5D and 70-200 L 2.8... but that thought was all gone once I got the lens and bought my D300. :big grin:

10. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

Nikon has a serious supply issue with high-end lenses. A lot of their $1000+ lenses are out of stock most of the time.

Although, this tends to be a good thing for me, otherwise I would buy them all.