Some advice on a decent budget system?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kerpal, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I really need a new computer, I'm still using a gateway PII 450 from 6+ years ago. I don't plan to play a lot of games, but tend to download a lot of stuff, and would like the ability to play music & movies with it. Other than that I'll mainly be using the it for the internet for & doing homework. I don't need something super high end, but it needs to remain fast and reliable for a long time.

I want to spend under $750 if that's enough to get something nice... the less the better really. I already have a power supply (antec 430w) and a vid card (radeon 9600).

Do you guys like P4 or AMD chips, and what speed is enough? Should I overclock it? Who makes a good motherboards?

How much and what kind of memory would be best?

I'll probably buy a 200 gb Seagate drive for storage... should I buy a smaller second drive to run Windows (and apps?) off of? Do I need to get drives with SATA?

I'll probably use the 9600 vid card I already have. For audio I at least want to have some kind of RCA and maybe digital outputs that I can hook up to my home stereo... 5.1 sound would be nice but isn't entirely necessary. Should I get an external sound card or are there motherboards with these features built in?

Finally I wanrt to be able to burn DVD's and CD-R's/RW's at fast speeds. Should I get a single burner or two, and do I need to get a DVD burner compatible with all formats?

I'm assuming it's better to buy all the parts individually rather than to buy a prebuilt system or kit? Should I buy from ebay, newegg, or??

As for as a monitor I want to get a decent 19" LCD, is there anywhere cheaper than ebay for monitors?

TIA for any help... :big grin:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

asus, abit or gigabyte motherboard with an athlon64 processor = teh win :)

SATA is definitely faster than IDE, but make sure you get WD Raptors

3. 1997 CL 3.0

1997 CL 3.0 OG since 00

Something AMD on the S754 can be had easily for less than $750. Not sure how much the S939 stuff costs but it's really expensive at the moment. I'm using an AMD 64 2800+ with a MSI K8N Neo and that system is solid and fast, it has onboard sound with digital outputs and it's probably best to stick with onbaord sound for the time being as if you don't like the quality you can always add a soundcard later. You can get a 8x dvd burner that burns both +/- quite cheap nowdays and some are upgradable to dual layer burning ability. Often times you can find really good deals in the hot deals forumn that are cheaper than what is offered at New Egg. I would avoid Ebay just for the sake of warrenty issues, sure some items will come with a full manufacturers warrenty but if something is DOA you'll have to wait at least a week or two for a new unit wheras with newegg you'll probably be able to exchange stuff in under a week.

4. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

thx for the advice... any others? :)

5. oradii

oradii www.oteampress.com

the monitor alone with use up your whole budget.. as for the system let me dig up some links for you...they will give you a good base price for a solid system.

6. oradii

oradii www.oteampress.com

7. jrwfz5

jrwfz5 New Member

go to newegg.com and start pricing boards and other componets, i built a p4 2.4 ghz system minus the monitor for 640$ a year ago, you will have to be able to get something faster now for the same $