GUN SOG SEAL Pup

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by twist_of_fate, Mar 31, 2004.

1. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

Does anyone have any experience with these knives? I've been looking at getting a fixed blade knife and the SEAL Pup was one that I was considering. I don't know much about knives so I don't know if this is a good knife or not. The other that I was looking at was the Ka-Bar Night Raider. I've heard a lot of good things about Ka-Bar. I've also seen a lot of places that sell knives by Ontario Knife Company. What are your opinions on them? Does anyone have any input to help me out? If you can make any other recommendations, I'll definitely consider them.

Thanks for your help,
    Aaron.

2. mrbill

mrbill New Member

i don't have any experience with SOG fixed blades, but i have handled some of their folders and i find them to be good quality so i would imagine the fixed blades would be too. also, have you checked out coldsteel?

http://www.coldsteel.com/

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

SOG knives are excellent quality. i've wanted to get their Desert Dagger for quite a while, but i can think of other things for $100. the seal and seal pup are great utility knives.

Ka-Bar is what i use for my utility knife. i have one of the black ka-bar half-serrated knives. they're built well, but SOG stuff is built better. which is why it costs more. i can attest to the durability of ka-bar knives, though, because i used mine to chop dry oak logs during a survival skills trip. without it, we'd have had no firewood, and it was cold and rainy in those mountains. i had to use it not only for chopping, but also for splitting and prying. it'll bend, but it didn't break. and you can bend it back. the blade is easy to sharpen, but that also means it's fairly easy to dull. i'm not knowledgeable enough about SOG knives' metals to say if they're good at holding an edge, but keep in mind that if they are, that means they're also hard to sharpen when the edge does go down. it's a tradeoff. but they are great knives, and i've never heard anything but good about them.

4. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

SOG uses 440A steel for the blade which isnt the best steel out there though it's good for an everyday utility knife. 440A is pretty rust resistant though it has a low carbon content; sog supposidly has an excellent heat treatment process though.

5. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

i got a SOG Flash II i think. I like it :coold:

6. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

I've been getting conflicting information on the material that the blade is made of. I've seen some sites that are saying that they're made of the 440A. Then I'm getting other sites that say that they're made of AUS-6. I don't know what the difference is between the two materials and which is better.

7. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Friend of mine has a Sog Seal Pup. It's stayed damn sharp for a long time and is tough as nails. Finish is nice, sheath is nice, it's just a really good knife. I'll try to get some pics next time I see him.

8. 7

440A
    The carbon content (and hardenability) of this stainless steel goes up in order from A (.75%) to B (.9%) to C (1.2%). 440C is an excellent, high-end stainless steel, usually hardened to around 56-58 Rc. All three resist rust well, with 440A being the most rust resistant, and
    440C the least. The SOG Seal 2000 is 440A, and Randall uses 440B for their stainless knives. 440C is fairly ubiquitous, and is generally considered the penultimate general-use stainless (with ATS-34 being the ultimate). If your knife is marked with just "440", it is probably the less expensive 440A; if a manufacturer had used the more expensive 440C, he'd want to advertise that. The general feeling is that 440A is just good enough for everyday use, especially with a good heat treat (we've heard good reports on the heat treat of SOG's 440A blades, don't know who does the work for them).

I was going to post the AUS-6 info but it says right that what the seal pup is 440A :o

9. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

I love my ka bar. :o

10. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

That's why I'm getting confused. I'm searching around for good prices and half the sites show that the SEAL Pup is made of 440A and the other half show AUS-6 (like this site http://www.scoutrecon.com/Combat Knives.htm).

Also, I don't know if this is true or not, but a lot of the sites that sell the SEAL and SEAL Pup state that the Navy SEALS use these knives. If this was true would it partly be due to the fact that the blade being made of 440A is more rust resistant?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2004
  11. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I had a SEAL pup and loved it.......to bad it disappeared somewhere. Oh and on the blade issue, this is straight from SOG's website "Steel AUS6 Stainless, Powder Coated, Rc 56-58 " that is for the SEAL pup

12. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

See that's what I mean. I went through more sites and 70% of them say they it is 440A steel. I guess it doesn't really matter. As long as it has a good reputation and I'm getting positive remarks about it, that might be the one I go for. However, if anyone has anymore imput, I really would appreciate it.

BTW, I'm still wondering if anyone has any info on Ontario Knife Co. They have a pretty bad ass-looking ax called the "spax". It looks like an interesting item. Anything?

13. footratfunkface

if you have a knife made of a steel that never ever rusts, you don't want it. that means it's stainless, and stainless with a high nickel content. that means a weak steel. high carbon content is what you want, which will also mean that the knife is prone to more rusting if it's not protected by oil or some sort of finish. 440A will rust, but not a whole lot.

4045 i think is what ka-bars are, is good steel.

14. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

After doing a few more searches, I think I'll go with the Ka-bar Night Raider (#1214). They can be purchased for less than the Pup and seem to have more information with good feedback. I'll probably pick up the Pup later, but the Ka-bar seems to be a better knife.

Thanks guys.

15. Furner

Furner New Member

on a different subject. i had to turn over my BRAND NEW IN BOX kershaw chive to airport security. there was a mistake at the airport and my flight back from TN was leaving an hour early. the plane had already loaded luggage, so i had to carry on both my carry on, and my luggage. im glad I didnt really splurge at smoky mtn. knife works while i was down there. but that was a cool little every-day carry blade. :mad:

16. 7

that's retarded, they should let you mail it home or something.

17. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Well Duh..what did you think was going to happen

18. Furner

Furner New Member

well, i had like 2 minutes to catch my plane, so at the time, making flight>knife

19. turbomk3

turbomk3 Guest

How much do you want to spend, probably the first question. Sog is a decent low end knife. Same with CRKT and Gerber. I don't recommend Cold Steel, but to each his own. If you are in the < $50 range, than yes, it's a decent knife and will get you through.

If you are willing to spend > $100, Benchmade is about the best you can buy for money. After that, you start spending more on a knife than a gun, and that's ludicrous IMHO.

If you want the best knives, check out Chris Reeves Knives. The absolute best folder "The Sebanza".

20. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

I didn't want to have to start a new thread on this, since it's still related to knives. I was watching Tears of the Sun the other night and there is a scene where they are walking through the jungle at night and they are hiding from some rebels. There is a straggler that sees Monica Belluci's character and gets ready to shoot her and Bruce Willis' character cuts his throat. It's a really quick scene, so I can't tell what method he is using. I've read in another knife related thread that cutting the throat is not a good method and I'm sure that's not what he did. It looked like a stabbing motion. Does anyone know?

21. footratfunkface

i'll tell you in a few months/years. my "guru" i guess you'd call him (see the martial arts thread) helped write the army's hand-to-hand manual, including sentry elimination.

22. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I have a SOG Seal Pup and I love it. I've had it for almost 2 years now and it's still holds a very nice edge, I think that I've only touched it up a few times and I use it quite often. It's definately one of the best for the money that you're spending.

23. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

Now you're kind of making me reconsider my decision. No one here has had first-hand experience with the Pup, so hearing that information is very appreciated.

24. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

Damn, we just had a gun show last weekend and I opted not to go. Oh well. Next month I guess. I'll just have to keep searching Ebay.