Software to stream TV from another box?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jmechy, Aug 13, 2006.

1. jmechy

jmechy Calmer then you are.

I have a media center (yes i know its a crappy OS, but i got the cards for free and they only appear to run in MCE) PC with two tv tuner cards (hauppauge 250 and AverMedia AverTV PVR 150). I'd like to be able to remotely control TV-tuner software from another machine on my LAN, and be able to stream the TV and recorded shows to it. From my understanding, windows MCE can't do this, at least not until softsled is released. Orb can do this, but it's a web based solution and therefore not very good for every day use. Is there any other software that could provide this functionality? Perhaps MythTV or some kind of plug-in for it? I know that BeyondTV and SageTV both claim to be able to do this, but they are too expensive for college students. (However, if anyone has any experience with them, let me know as it may be my only option). Surely there MUST be a good way to do this!

2. jmechy

Also, before anyone asks, remote desktop is not a solution, as it will not allow you to stream the TV.
    There are hardware boxes called "media center extenders", but those really wouldn't help me here either.

to clarify, the problem is streaming the TV and being able to change the channel/set up recordings at the same time.

3. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

snapstream is $50. I doubt any of your books is that cheap, or beer and weed for the weekend.

4. jmechy

actually, beyond TV is $70, and link is another $30. I know that I might have to resort to this (and if I do, I think i'm actually leaning towards SageTV instead of snapstream), but I was hoping someone would know of a good alternative.

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

look into MythTV.

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I've heard good things about KnoppMyth.

7. jmechy

From what I've seen on mythTV, there is no native way to then view the TV on another machine running windows. The only way to do it appears to be running WinMyth. Does anyone have any experience with it?